1

To destroy a mans pride you take away his food, But they don't just take away their food for a day, they take away his food for a month. They slowly destroy him and allow his body to eat away at his fat and muscles until he is weak and dying of starvation. They decide if they should feed you to keep you alive but food gives you strength to be a man, to be a human, to be of your flesh. Starving you is how they make you weak. Its how they get you to get on your knees and beg. To make your feel worthless. It's how they make you feel less then a man.

That is what I learned or what I thought I learned when I took this job as a Military Guard. Check on the people they tell you, give them their food slips they tell you, keep the peace they tell you. But none of this nurturing is in the job description. Invade their privacy, give them their food slips but take it away if they are not following the law, shoot them dead if they get out of hand. This is what they want you to do, this is what they show on television for the world to see but this is not how we the people see it.

Ever since the food shortage happened five years ago this is what happened to America. People like me patrol the streets to keep the peace and deliver food slips to starving people. We are called at a certain hour to break into multiple homes and investigate random tip ins about people hiding a third child in their house or a women going to deliver an illegal baby. Ninety-five percent of those random tip ins are true and ninety-five percent of those people and innocent babies die.

Nobody comes outside anymore, scared of being tipped in or scared that they will get harassed by Military when they walk through the streets or play outside with their children. Many people don't even play in their front yards but instead meet secretly to have fun underground fun. But I don't blame them. Who would want to play outside. The city is not as beautiful as it used to be.

As I walked the dirt paved streets, Trash fills the sidewalks and grass and the greenery of the nature that used to be is no more. The grass is now brown filled with waste and has been dead since the revolution. The trees have not been blooming like they used to ever since the scientist has built factories to help find a cure and create food for the people the people to eat leaving our trees to eat their pollution.

I sigh at the sight of the desolate city. "What has this world come to." I say as I reach the second to last house on my route. The house is a small like shack but big enough for her family to live in. On the top of the house is a tiny attic that is caved off but when really I know what lies inside

I knock on the door and wait for Mrs. Noah to answer the door. I look from left to right to see if anybody is watching me but to my luck nobody seems to be coming this way. A curtain moves from the corner of my eye as I wait for the door to open. I knock gently one more time not wanting to scare those that live inside with a harsh knock.

Soon the door creaks open slowly a head pops out from behind the big wooden door and lets out a sigh.

"Zechariah." She said in a sigh. "I am so glad it is you. I'm scared one day i'll open the door and."

I lift up my hand to stop her from speaking. "It is okay Mrs. Noah just please let me in."

She steps out from behind the door and opens the door wider for me to enter. I look both ways before I enter the house making sure that nobody sees me. As I walk in I am surrounded by darkness, the lights are off like everyone in the house is still sleeping.

"Please follow me to the kitchen." She says to me.

I nod my head even though she can not see me. I follow her footsteps to the back of the house and the lights flicker on when I enter. I smile at Mrs. Noah who smiles uneasy at me. She looks worse her eyes are bloodshot like she has been crying and the bags under her eyes look like they have been weighed down.