Chapter 8

The countryside was bathed in the soft morning glow. The birds tweeted and bugs chirped; it was peaceful. So, so peaceful. He wouldn't last for long, as the heavy knowledge of what was to happen later that day weighed heavy on Anakin. He, in desperation for alone time with Padmé, had slipped her a note the night before to meet him on the terrace at sunrise. The very same terrace they married years before.

Anakin leaned against the stone railing that encircled the terrace, looking around the area. It was bathed in the morning light, not unlike it was the day they wedded. The trees above provided a beautiful canopy, and it was one of the reasons why Padmé was so insistent on being wed here. Just the sight of the of it brought a smile to his face.

"Ani," Padmé's melodic voice rang out, breaking him out of his thoughts. She stood at the door that lead into the house. She was already dressed in battle gear; she donned a simple, brown long-sleeved shirt and pants with black combat boots. She had a maroon sleeveless vest on as well, reminiscent to that of the Naboo guard, and gloves that reached up to her elbow. Dangling from her utility belt was her personal blaster, the same one she kept with her at all times. Her hair was kept in a tight ponytail that flowed down her back, a hairstyle she seemed to don all the time now. She walked over to Anakin, looking up to him as he put his hands on her waist and pulling her close, "Hello, my love."

Anakin smiled, leaning down to peck her lips, mumbling against her lips, "It's been too long."

 "We've both been busy. You, with the Jedi, and I, organizing a galaxy-wide rebellion." Padmé responded, pulling away.

Anakin shook his head softly, muttering, "No excuse."

Padmé chuckled, placing her head against his chest, the beat of Anakin's heart lulling her.

"How are Luke and Leia?" Anakin asked, "It's been months since I've seen a holovid, and even longer since I've seen them in person."

"They're good. They're growing up faster and faster everyday. Mon agreed to watch them on Yavin 4 while I'm here on Naboo. Dormé and Moteé are also there with them." his wife responded. She broke free from his embrace and leaned against the railing next to him. The two admired the sunrise, basking in the peace while it lasted.

"I miss them everyday." Anakin said, sadness dripping into his voice, "But the sooner this war is over, the sooner I can be with them all the time."

Padmé nodded, "Hopefully this war will come to a swift end."

No words were exchanged after that, but Anakin's mind ran wild with what happened the night before. Ahsoka and her revealing her suspicions about Padmé weighed heavy on his mind, and he feared the consequences if she went to Obi-Wan or Plo or even the Jedi Council about her findings, "I think Ahsoka knows about us." Anakin said abruptly, "Us and the twins."

Padmé looked at him curiously, "Why do you say that?"

"She confronted me last night," Anakin said, frowning, meeting his wife's gaze, "and asked about you. I tried to play it off as us being old friends, but she didn't buy it at all. We fought, and some pretty... unpleasant things were said on my part. As she left, she asked about the pregnancy and asked if I was the father, and I didn't respond."

"Well, I don't think this is a bad thing. Ahsoka is our friend, your padawan. She won't tell anyone." Padmé said, trying to bring him some relief.

Anakin sighed, looking away, "I don't know about that. Her and I haven't been close ever since she left the Jedi Order. Ever since Palpatine's identity was uncovered, she's on mission after mission. The few times I would see her in between her missions, it would be for moments at most. It seemed like she was avoiding me."