Chapter 30

KATE 

I hopped back into Axel's car, handing him the bracelet and he took it, looking embarrassed.

"Let me guess, the K stands for Kate," I stated, smiling.

Axel blushed in embarrassment and smiled shyly. "I'd hoped you wouldn't notice," he said, fumbling for the car keys.

I smiled. "Want to put it on me?" I asked, holding out my wrist.

Axel put the car key into the ignition and turned to me, taking my wrist into his hand. His thumb brushed against my skin, leaving a trail of fire beneath where he'd touched me.

He looked into my eyes as he slid the bracelet onto my wrist, securing it tightly using the two loose threads. We didn't move for a moment, just looking into each other's eyes, when he did something that surprises me. He took my hand that was still held in his and brings it to his lips to kiss it.

I felt my face turn pink and a smile stretched onto my face.

Axel smiled back and released my hand before turning the key and pulling out of the parking lot. I checked the time and saw that it was only 5:30 so we'd still have over an hour.

"Where to next?" I asked him, wondering how this day could get any better.

"Now, I'm taking you to get some of the best ice cream in town," Axel declared happily, turning onto a bumpy road.

My heart sunk as I thought, what if they don't have sugar free? I'd hate to disappoint Axel.

Axel pulled into a parking spot closest to the entrance and opened the door, getting out. I soon followed after him, taking his hand.

"Welcome to Sweet Rose Creamery, what can I get you?" A woman asked me behind the counter.

"Hello, do you have sugar-free ice cream?" I asked.

Axel looked at me, clearly confused, but said nothing.

The woman didn't look fazed by my question. "Why, yes. We do. What flavor would you like? We have vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry."

"Strawberry, please," I replied.

The woman nodded and began scooping my ice cream into a cup. "Here you go, miss," she said with a smile.

I went and found a table in the corner for us to sit at while Axel ordered his ice cream and paid.

I took a bite of my ice cream, feeling refreshed.

Axel took a seat across from me, licking his ice cream that was scooped into a cone.

"Thanks for paying," I said shyly.

Axel shrugged. "No worries."

We continued eating our ice cream until he finally asked, "So, why sugar-free?"

I shrugged in response, knowing that he was going to ask this. "Oh, I'm diabetic."

Axel looked surprised. "No wonder you're so skinny," he stated teasingly.

I smiled. "Want to play our game?"

He smiled back. "Sure. I'll go."

I nodded.

"What's your favorite hobby?" he asked, sounding genuinely curious.

"I like to read," I responded, licking my spoon clean.

Axel rolled his eyes. "I always knew you were a nerd. I could tell the second I met you."

I laughed. "What's yours?"

"Video games," he said without hesitation.

I rolled my eyes. "You're such a boy."

Axel smirked. "Well, would you like me if I wasn't?" He teases.

I shook my head. "No, you're right. I don't swing that way."

He laughed. "Good for me then," he said with a wink.

I felt myself blush.

"Katie, why did you move here?"

I shook my head. "Pass."

Something flashed across Axel's face and it was the first emotion that he had let me see, hurt. "You said more to Mya about it than you did to me. Why?"

I frowned, stirring the last remaining ice cream with my spoon. "I didn't tell her more than I've ever told anyone. I just don't like talking about it," I stated without looking up.

Axel's leg brushed against mine underneath the table making me look up at him. "But why?"

I stood up, tossing my cup into the trash. "You have your secrets, I have mine."

Axel followed me out the door and didn't ask again.

We got into his car in silence and he didn't move to turn on the car. Instead, he turns to me and says totally emotionless, "Jace. My brother's name is Jace."