Chapter 33

KATE 

I entered my homeroom, the teacher passing out pieces of paper. As I took my seat, putting my bag onto the floor, he came by and slipped one onto my desk as well.

"These are club sign up sheets, please take this time to fill these out and hand them in to me before you leave," the teacher stated.

I quickly scribbled my name out on the top of the sheet and looked through all of the club options. There was band, yearbook club, famous movie club, chess club, photography club, chorus, and musical theater.

I quickly put checkmarks next to chess club, chorus, and musical theater and handed the sheet back to my homeroom teacher. He thanked me and I headed out of the classroom, on my way to math with Kyle.

"Hey, Blondie, how ya doin'?" Kyle asked as I took my seat beside him.

"I'm okay, how are you?" I responded, taking out my notebook and pens.

"I'm fine," he responded, taking out his notebook as well.

The teacher began writing a few notes on the board that I quickly copied down.

"Did you sign up for any clubs?" Kyle asked, sounding curious.

"Yeah, chess club and musical theatre," I responded shyly.

"Wow, you're a true nerd. Amy's in chess so I'd love to see how that plays out," Kyle said.

I smiled. "Oh, that's good, I guess."

Suddenly, I heard my phone buzz in my backpack and once the teacher had turned away, I quickly pulled it out to switch it to silent, when I saw that it was a text from Axel.

AXEL - Hey, I had fun with u yesterday ;)

I smiled to myself and responded.

KATE - Yea, me too.

I quickly switched my phone to silent and put it back into my bag, before quickly jotting down the few notes I'd missed.

✡ ✡ ✡

"Hey, Kate, did you have fun on Saturday?" Corey asked, smiling.

I nodded. "Yeah, even though we lost, I still had fun."

Corey smiled even wider. "That's good! My mom really liked you! She keeps asking me to bring you over again."

I blushed. I'd really liked Corey's mom, she was so down to earth and friendly and it was easy to feel comfortable in her company.

"Yeah, you're mom's sweet. And she really is an amazing cook."

Corey nodded with a smile before turning to the others to ask them about a homework assignment. I took out my phone and read two unread messages from Axel.

AXEL - Tomorrow's our date!

AXEL - It can be a date... right?

I blushed and typed,

KATE - Yea, I don't see why not ;)

After hitting send, I put my phone away right as the bell rung, signaling the end of lunch.

"Oh, shit, I've got physics. I've gotta get to class!" Amy stated, giving Kyle a peck goodbye and us all a wave.

I waved goodbye to her and headed off to my own class. On the way, I started to feel nervous butterflies in my stomach at the thought of going out with Axel on an actual date.