6: Took the Long Way Home, Just to Stay With You

I couldn't stop thinking about Kieran. I also couldn't stop thinking about Jackie Ainsley, and my EVE-1 test. To be clear, my mind was full. I couldn't fit anything else in there.

When karaoke night finally arrived, I'd almost forgotten I agreed to come. There was no worse fate than being forced to sing for a crowd, and what was worse was that Trevor wouldn't stop heckling me into inviting Kieran to come with us. His logic went like this:

"He's already seen you in the worst clothes known to humanity. It can't get any worse. There's nothing you can do. At this point, you've established yourself as the guy who does stupid shit. And, Christ, karaoke is where the concept of stupid was invented."

He piled us into the back of Matt's truck, as though attempting to corral a group of unruly children. As per usual, Nico and Matt were bickering, mixing like hydrogen to an open flame.

"You can't call shotgun, I already said it was taken," Matt slurred. I'd long since figured out that I didn't want to be on his bad side, and avoiding him was the key. So far, it was working out pretty nicely.

Nico, his stance guarded, his expression bordering on mocking, did not seem to understand this concept. "Taken by who? Oh, yeah, right. Your girlfriend, who isn't here."

This went on for far too long before Gabriel arrived and interrupted them. He worked at the movie store a few blocks away and was in charge of bringing the snacks.

"There you are!" Nico slapped Gabriel on the back hard enough that it nearly knocked off his glasses. "Did you get those movies I wanted?"

Gabriel passed him the plastic bags filled with popcorn, candy, and drinks clinking together. "I'll get them tomorrow, I swear."

He opened the backseat door and allowed Nico to get in first and waved for Trevor and me to follow. The four of us were stuck squished in pairs, and I was in the middle of the chaos. Matt cut through the university's parking lot to get the sorority buildings where Kris would be waiting to join us.

"Anything fun from work, Gab?" Nico said as he ripped open a bag of chips.

Gabriel shot him a warning glare. "No. Unlike some people, I don't care what movies people buy. I don't even look."

"That is such a goddamn lie!" Nico argued. "I know you're looking after that time I borrowed that movie, and you asked me if it was good. How do you explain that, then?"

Gabriel leaned over to swipe some chips from him. "That was because you rented the same movie three times in a row, and I wanted to know if you were okay. Nobody rents the same movie three times unless they've got—"

"It was a good movie," Nico interrupted pointedly. "Don't tell me how to live my life, dude."

The truck rolled to a stop, and Kris climbed inside. The conversation muted mid-sentence, as though everyone had suddenly lost the desire to speak.

"I'm so excited," Kris proclaimed, giving a bubbly laugh. "I invited the girls. They're meeting us there, you see? It'll be so fun. Don't you think, babe?"

Nico audibly snorted. Gabriel kicked him.

"Yeah, I'm sure," Matt replied testily. He glanced in the rearview mirror and continued, "Where are you going now? Aren't we picking somebody up?"

"Kieran," Trevor supplied. "His place isn't far from here." He pointed his finger down the road, to Pleasant street, which wasn't too far from the central mall of Astral City, and the bar Kris was taking us to. "It's this turn, up ahead."

"Have I met him before?" Kris asked as we pulled up to a row of apartment complexes. Each of the buildings was identical, with the same brick layout and sloping grey roof. Raindrops collected on a pipe, snaking its way to the asphalt, slowly rolling down its shiny surface.