15: Everything Is Perfect

I stared out at the street below, my hands holding steadfast to the windowsill. There were only a few minutes before Kieran arrived, and my fingers tapped away the passage of time.

I had changed out of my hospital clothes and into a simple outfit chosen by the collective effort of AZI. The pants were striped, and the collared shirt had a triangle pattern. It was, without a doubt, the strangest clothes I'd ever seen paired together. I couldn't tell if it was purposeful or not.

My mask sat at the base of my pocket, weighing what felt like a thousand pounds. I crammed my suit into the briefcase, hoping I could find a way to get rid of the evidence before Kieran asked too many questions. It was sort of like being an undercover cop, except instead of obeying the law, I was now responsible for multiple building fires. Ça m'est égal, right? It didn't matter either way.

I listened to the sound of footsteps approaching. Kieran rapped against the door four times, signalling his entry.

I turned to face him, feeling myself gravitate towards him, despite my every effort. As much as I wanted to rush into his arms as fast as I could, I resisted.

He smiled softly at me. "What is it with you and your strange outfit choices? I'm starting to sense this might be how you dress all the time."

I looked sheepishly at my clothes. "I got hit by a car four days ago. Cut me some slack."

"Right, of course. How could I forget?" He lifted a finger and gently brushed it against my chin, tracing the echo of my stitches. "Does it hurt?"

"Not really," I said, stumbling over my words as he removed his hand and shoved it back into his pocket. My gaze tracked him while he moved. It had been four entire days since the last time I shaved, or even gelled my hair back, so I probably looked like a drowned rat.

"Have you got everything?" Kieran scanned the room and slipped the nightlight underneath his arm. "I mean, considering you practically moved in, I expected it to be a lot messier."

I rested the briefcase against my side and replied, "Are you judging me? Because, in case you were wondering, I am the master of organization."

He gave me a look. "So... the paper planes in the corner... those are from the previous occupant, I assume?"

"I got bored," I defended. "And I learned nurses really don't appreciate having paper thrown in their direction, as accidental as it might have been."

I followed him out of the room, curious as to where he was taking me.

"Did you drive?"

Kieran got into the elevator. "I got a cab. I wanted to borrow Trevor's ride, but the other guy—the tall, slightly rude one—needs it for work."

Many years later, when Kieran told me his version of this tale, I'm pretty sure I asked him who it was that he was referring to. He told me the story works better if you don't know. But this is my story, and I don't care either way, so if it matters: it was Nico. Just don't tell him who told you.

"That doesn't really narrow it down," I said. "All of them are taller than me except for Gabriel. I have at least three inches on him."

"In what sense?" Kieran replied easily. "Sorry. That was too easy. You practically set the stage for that joke."

The elevator door opened on the main floor. I sent a smile towards the receptionist for letting me use her phone for my entire stay and finally stepped outside.

The sun peeked out behind the dense clouds. An autumn chill raced through me as the leaves detached from the trees. It was my favourite season, the perfect weather for flannel sweaters and coffee.