chapter five

CHAPTER FIVE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     "I KNEW I should have brought my horse," Octavia said as they all piled out of the rover outside the front doors of Mount Weather

"I KNEW I should have brought my horse," Octavia said as they all piled out of the rover outside the front doors of Mount Weather. Taylor hadn't been back since that day three months previously. Despite Abby and Sinclair suggesting that she should come with them when they went, she refused. She didn't want to see it ever again. It was harder in the days immediately following the events that transpired there, but it didn't make it any easier now that she looked at it.

Grabbing her pack from the back of the rover, Raven attempted to lighten the mood. "You guys, did I ever tell you how we saved Sinclair's ass on the Ark?"

"Please don't," Octavia interjected, grabbing more supplies from the back with the shake of her head. The rest of the conversation that was carried on by Raven and Gina fell further away from her as she slowly approached the mountain. She glanced over at Leo, swallowing thickly. Why would he have chosen to come back here?

She blinked and it was almost as if she could taste the cool night air once again, staring at the darkly lit entrance with Clarke beside her — helpless. Feeling a hand on her shoulder, she jolted out of it. In the midday sunlight, it felt like a far cry from that night yet eerily familiar.

"You okay?" Bellamy asked her, squeezing her shoulder lightly. She forced a smile and nodded, not having enough heart to assure him of anything verbally. They entered the cold building and the halls near the entrance were barely familiar. She only walked them once. That was enough.

Raven continued to tell her story and Gina laughed along, welcoming the distraction. Taylor trailed slightly behind everyone, next to Leo, who looked like he was staring at ghosts.

The faint sound of music reached their ears and in front of them was the dining hall where she remembered sitting with her captured friends among the other residents of Mount Weather as they laughed and talked — doing the same exact thing that her people were doing.

Pike stood up with a wide smiled and greeted them. "Welcome!" he said warmly. Taylor knew that it must be because they finally had real shelter and a place to stay but it didn't feel good in the slightest watching them there. She glanced over and saw that Leo had gone completely pale, setting down the supplies that he had grabbed from the rover and staring at a specific spot on the ground. She had nearly forgotten — that was the spot that Maya died.

Grabbing his arm gently, she tilted her head toward the hallway, blocking his view from the rest of the hall. "Why don't we take a walk?" she suggested, Leo nodding quickly in agreement. As they walked further away from the dining hall, the music faded and the halls that they were in now were absolutely silent.

   "I can't imagine how hard all of this must be for you," she spoke up, staring at him in sympathy. Some of the color had returned to his face and he seemed to be trying to breathe more clearly.