Chapter one

Something was wrong, Elizabeth was never this late. Meliodas finished wiping down the counter and tossed the cloth aside. 

"Ban," he called to his friend, who was currently seated at one of the tables, already downing his fourth ale. 

"Yeah?" the immortal man shouted back.

"Watch the bar, I have go out for a sec." Ban simply waved in response, allowing his head  to rest on the table. The dragon sin hurried from the tavern, making his way into the crowded streets of Liones. He scanned his surroundings carefully as he walked, looking for any sign of the princess. He sighed heavily.

It was then that he caught sight of King and Diane on the opposite side of the street, carrying the supplies he had sent them for earlier that morning.

"King, Diane! He called, hurrying over to them. The pair stopped to greet him.

"Hey Captain." The giantess said with a grin. "Is everything okay, I thought you said you had things to do in the bar."

"I left Ban in charge, he-" King scoffed.

"You'll be lucky if anything's left by the time you get back." The fairy said readjusting the bags in his hands. 

"Listen, have either of you seen Elizabeth today, she never showed up and I'm starting to-"

"Sir Meliodas!"The sins turned to see the princess limped  toward them, her shirt slightly torn at the bottom. Her knees and arms had been scraped. She cradled an object in her arms. The sins hurried to meet her. 

Diane gasped as they approached and it became clear that the object was in fact an infant. A tuft of light brown hair was just visible over her arm.

"Elizabeth, are you okay?" Meliodas asked in concern. She nodded.

"I'm sorry about the uniform, I didn't know what else to do, I couldn't just leave her." The princess explained.

"Don't worry about it, we can get you another one. What happened?" the blond sin asked.

"Well, I was on my way to work and I heard her crying by the river, I had to help, but I slid down the   bank." A cool breeze blew brushing against the child causing her to shiver and sob.  King set the bags down, removing his hoodie and offering it to the princess.

"Here, you can wrap her in this." He said. Elizabeth smiled gratefully.

"Thank you Sir King." She quickly took the suggestion.  

"She can't be more than a few days old." Meliodas observed.  "you did the right thing. " He praised. 

"Now what do we do?" Diane asked, her eyes still on the baby. The giantess's heart broke for the girl. 

"Well, we can't just leave her, she won't survive on her own.  The only choice we have is to take her back to the tavern with us and decide what to do there." Diane and Elizabeth agreed.

"But Captain, she'll want to eat, we don't have any way to feed her."King reasoned.

"Merlin's in town, we'll stop by and ask her for advice." Diane placed her bags on the ground at her feet. 

"Elizabeth?"

"Yes?" the princess gently bounced the child in her arms.

"Do you think...I could hold her?"She asked hopefully. Elizabeth smiled. 

"Sure." Diane took a step forward, taking the baby in her arms, instantly feeling her heart melt. The infant quieted, gazing up through half closed emerald eyes.

"Hello there." Diane greeted lovingly. "You're so tiny. Look King, isn't she precious?"

"Yeah, she's cute, I guess." The fairy said with a sigh.

"Do you mind taking the supplies back, I need to see Merlin anyway. I'm low on my medicine." The giantess requested, not bothering to look away from the girl.

"No, you go ahead. I got this stuff." King climbed onto his pillow, pulling the supplies up with him. Diane leaned over kissing his cheek softly.

"Thank you, you're the best." 

"Y-yeah, s-sure, Diane." He said blushing.

"We'll be back as soon as we can, help Ban look after the bar."
Meliodas called over his shoulder.

"Yeah, if there's a bar left." King grumbled continuing on his way.  

"I think she likes you, Diane." Elizabeth pointed out, the child yawned closing her eyes. 

"You really think so?" The princess nodded.

"I do. She calmed right down when you took her and she's going  to sleep. She must be really comfortable with you."Meliodas shook his head.

"We need to get moving, we have a little way to go until we get to Merlin. Let's hope she sleeps the rest of the way there. The sooner we get there the better off she'll be. "

A/N I know this chapter is a bit short, but I'll try to make amends with the next one. I hope you're enjoying this so far and as always thank you for stopping by.