Chapter 5

Diane paced the length of the darkened tavern while Tiana sobbed in her arms. 

"Come on, Sweetie." She said, lightly rocking the child. The giantess yawned.  "We both need some sleep. I wish you could tell me what's wrong. I've fed you and changed you, everything I could think of. You'll wake the whole kingdom at this rate. " She gently patted the child's back.  

"Diane?" The giantess turned toward the stairs to find King rubbing the sleep from his eyes as he crossed the short distance to meet her. 

"Everything's fine, King. You can go back to sleep. I'm sorry, I brought her down here so she wouldn't-"

"It's fine. Thank you for thinking of me, but Tiana isn't just your responsibility. I want you to wake me if you need help." The fairy said. Diane frowned.

"I know, but you worked all day and you were so tired when you finally came upstairs. I just wanted you to be able to sleep." Diane leaned down, resting her head on King's shoulder. 

"I appreciate the thought." He said kissing her head. "I'll get to sleep eventually. Right now, Tiana needs us. 

"I don't even know what to do for her. She had a bottle and I've changed her, walking around isn't helping either. D-do you think maybe I'm not-"Diane allowed her voice to trail off. She felt King's arm around her. 

"You're a wonderful mother, Diane. You know how sometimes you get so tired you can't sleep and you feel frustrated?"

"Yeah. It used to happen when we lived together in the cave. You always knew what to do." Diane replied.

"Maybe that's what she's going through and she just can't tell us what's wrong. Maybe we just need to be a little more patient with her and sooner or later she'll have to fall asleep. Do you want me to take her for a while?" King took the sobbing child into his arms.

"Hey, Little Princess." He greeted, pulling the blanket away just far enough to see Tiana's tear-filled, emerald eyes. "It's okay, I know  you're tired." King soothed.

"Yeah. So are the rest of us." Ban grumbled, making his way down the stairs, followed by Elaine, Meliodas, and Elizabeth.  "The hell's going on down here?"

"Tiana's having a rough night," Diane explained. Ban scoffed.

"Aren't we all." He muttered, earning a sharp nudge from Elaine.

"Ban, she's just a baby. Be nice to our niece." King shook his head. 

"She's your niece, you mean. I don't want someone who acts like that-"

"Can't you get that kid to be quiet, it's late and I-"

"We're all tired, Ban. Sit down and relax." Meliodas said. "You guys need to calm down."

"I am calm!" Ban shouted, causing the infant to sob harder. King narrowed his eyes at the man, handing the infant back to Diane. 

"You're scaring her, Moron."King took a step forward. Ban chuckled. 

"You think I'm afraid of a tiny thing like you, get real." King rose into the air, stopping at eye level. 

"Keep it up, you will be."He warned. "If you have a problem, you bring it to me, don't start on Tiana. "

"Anytime you think you're big enough to try it, shorty."

"Stop it!" Elaine cried. "Stop fighting."

"Harlequin, don't. Please?" Diane pleaded. 

"Get out of my face before-" Ban began.

"Enough!" Meliodas said, stepping between them. 

"Sit down, Ban. King, just let it go for now."The blond sin demanded. "We all just need some sleep, let's not do anything you'll regret tomorrow. Tiana needs her family. Ban, let's have a drink. We'll deal with this later. I suggest not pissing me off. "He turned to the slightly startled Princess.