Chapter 3

"We still have to name her." Diane pointed out as she and King strolled through town, using the money the captain had offered as a gift to 'welcome the newest family member.'  as a means to purchase items for the infant. They had also been gifted a bassinet by Elizabeth that morning. Taking at least some of the stress away from the fairy.

"It should be something special" The giantess continued. She hadn't stopped smiling since the decision to keep the child was made. King was amazed that such a tiny being was capable of having such a big impact on the group in just a matter of hours.  The fairy couldn't help but smile too, watching Diane's eyes light up each time she glanced down at her daughter."What do you think, Harlequin?"

"I think you should name her."  He suggested.

"But that wouldn't be fair to you, we should decide together, you are her daddy after all." King stopped as the word hit him. He wasn't sure how he felt about the use of the title.

"You're better at that than I am, that's all. I don't want to take that from you."Diane frowned, his tone had been different since the night before, Diane couldn't put her finger on it. Almost as if Harlequin was lost in thought during their conversations.

"Hey," She called softly. "Are you okay, you seem distracted lately. I mean since we decided to keep her, you haven't really been...with me." King looked at her in surprise.

"Diane, I'm with you right now." The giantess shook her head. 

"That's not what I mean.You're there, but it's kind of like you're a world away at the same time. Are you...angry at me?"

"Of course not, you didn't do anything!"He replied quickly as they stopped in front of the fabric shop.

"I kind of pushed you into this. I know you really didn't want to, but the truth is, there's no one else I'd want to do this with. I couldn't do it alone." she admitted. 

"Sure you could, I mean you could do anything. But I hope you understand I just wanted the best for her." Diane nodded.

"I know.  It'll take some getting used to, having a baby I mean. But as long we do it together, I think we'll be alright, Harlequin.  Don't you think so?"

"I- sure, Diane."Her words made his heart leap with joy as they entered the shop.  

"Hey, could you take her for a little bit, I want to go look over here." Diane motioned directly ahead of them to the  bolts of fabric.

"I don't think that's-" Again the child was handed off  to the fairy and he watched the giantess make her way to her destination.  He gazed down at her, the emerald eyes locking on his as she raised a tiny hand toward her face and let out a soft cry.

"It's okay, she'll be right back." He soothed. "Mommy didn't go far." He readjusted the child in his arms, in the process her tiny hand grasped his finger, her tiny tongue poking out, causing the fairy to chuckle. King's heart melted instantly. The girl yawned, but continued to stare up at her caregiver. 

"Sounds like you're ready for a nap." He continued. "We'll be heading home soon. Speaking of home, you'll see soon enough that things can get pretty crazy really fast around here.But I hope you'll also know that we love you and as long as one of us is there, you're safe." The baby yawned once more, finally falling asleep, still holding onto King.

"you enjoy your nap, little Tiana."

"What's that?"Diane asked catching the fairy off guard. He raised his head to mean her gaze.

"What?" He asked.

"Tiana, I've never heard it before, it's beautiful."

"Oh, it's a shortened form of our word for Queen. But using this version actually means Fairy Princess. It's not really a name for us, more of a-"