MOVING FORWARD

ML MET 7540 - met rogue agents in employ of the elder Rothschild - son missing - was forced to liquidate one of their number - obtained info on obj3

In here. The technician said curtly, gesturing at the curtain. It was a floor to ceiling curtain made of rigid vertical panels within a jacket of pliable grey polymer. Even stepped over to where the curtain sealed against the bulkhead then paused his hand hovering over the contact pad.

Can I have a minute.

He listened to the technician move away. When he touched the pad the seal released and the curtain retracted folding back along its tracks.

He remained where he was and stood silently as he examined the synthetic. She was as she had been before only the blanket over her had been changed to one woven of plastic wool a hospital blanket white with a blue pattern across it and beside the trolley a medical stand the monitor switched off for there were no lifesigns for it to monitor at least none analogous to those it was designed to test and measure. Her respiration was slow and shallow a mere twenty breaths a minute and what heartbeat and pulse she had were artifice for the purpose of making her more like her creators. Her vital fluids were circulated continually via twin heartpumps one each side within her abdominal cavity.

Hung from one of the hooks at the top of the stand was a bag of clear lubricant salted with rare elements and metals that could not be easily synthesised via the fission and fusion of molecules within her reactor. The lubricant was too thick at room temperature for gravity to do the necessary work thus the line from the bag ran down to an induction powered pump which moved lubricant continually through the line which looped up onto the trolley running beneath the blanket and into her spine.

She cannot hear you.

Locus stepped up beside Even who spared him a quick glance. The thin man stood in a stiff manner his limbs wooden and his arms held stiff and woodenly at his sides.

The synthetic. She not asleep. She cannot hear you.

I know that.

My mistake.

I was just thinking. Even said.

She murdered someone. He stated.

An accident.

Is she safe. He saw the look on Evens face. I would repair her regardless. I'm just curious.

Even was silent.

I had one once. Locus said. Company mandated. I tested out some modifications so we could play rough. He went rogue. Tried to snap my neck. He was only a slight thing made like a boy you understand but they are amazingly strong.

There was the faint whine of an induction engine behind them. Even turned to see a white autoserver wheel across the floor towards them. On its sloping rack was a number of technical tools and devices. The undercarriage was built in around the interface to a portable terminal.

It'll take several hours. Locus said. Don't forget our deal.

I have not forgotten. Even said.

This was all we could find.

Even turned to see a man and woman arrive. They were technicians or at least wore technicians clothing and carried between them some esoteric device.

You're late. Locus glanced at the device. It's old. He said. Probably old enough. Come on then. Help me roll her over. Her modem has been destroyed so we are going to have to use the physical jack.

The technicians came over and slid the device onto one of the undershelves on the autoserver. The man straightened up and hurried over to the trolley while the woman kneeled and examined and adjusted some dials that provided imput to the terminal.

The man had gone around the other side of the trolley and after checking the lubricant line he pulled back the blanket. Even took one last look at the synthetic then turned away.

As Even was leaving Locus called out to him. There is a small chance of failure.

What is small.

A few percent. Depends how much damage the governor has already done.

Have you considered a wipe and a fresh installation. Rose would be able to construct a package.

Our deal is for a successful repair job. Even said. Under no circumstances are you to wipe her. If anything unexpected comes up then contact me immediately.

Locus looked at him for a brief moment then nodded.