Chapter 3

Eden POV

After college I decided to take a walk through the town and head to one of the grocery stores because I really did need to stop up on food. I'd been eating out of the same cornflakes box for two weeks now, they were starting to get stale. I couldn't even eat them with milk because my mum never bought me any, so I had to use water from the tap instead of milk.

I looked around the store, seeing all the luxuries that everyday people really did take for granted. Things like chocolate, sweets, fresh meats etc. I didn't even get any of those things. I had a box of cereal a week.

I was so neglected. When I really thought about it I was, as much as I might've wanted to deny it. Part of me hated my mum for what she was doing to me and how she was being, how badly she was treating me and herself, but my heart hurt for her. I felt her pain and I really couldn't hate her for that. She lost the love of her life. I could never imagine losing them like that.

I took a shopping basket and filled it with a tube of toothpaste, a new toothbrush, a hairbrush, ready cooked meals that were £1 each, a loaf of bread, some milk, a new box of cereal and a few more essentials.

I got to the counter and a lady scanned all of my items, giving me a total of £33.75. That wasn't bad at all. It came up to less than I expected and I still had money left over. She bagged my items up and I thanked her, leaving the store with a bag full of items.

I had enough food to last me a week or so, maybe even more if I spread it out. But I needed to start eating properly, otherwise my health would only get worse. This is what I didn't understand, my mum rented the apartment, paid the bills but was never there. She never gave me any money for food or anything, I was literally here starving.

As I was crossing the road I noticed a 'hiring now' sign on the window of a small bookstore. Money. I needed a job. If I wanted to keep providing for myself I would need income, this could be a good financial support for myself. I walked across the road and entered the store, looking up as a bell sounded above me. Moments later I was met at the counter by a much older lady, probably in her late 50's or 60's, she had a warm welcoming smile on her face.

"Good afternoon dear." She greeted me. "What can I do for you."

I set down my bag of shopping at my feet and looked up to meet her gaze, her eyes watched me patiently.

"I saw the sign on your window, it says that you're hiring here." I said in a polite yet questioning tone. "Is there still a vacancy?"

I crossed my fingers at my sides, hoping that she would give me the response that I was looking for. I couldn't get let down, not by this as well, I needed this job badly. If I didn't get this food I'd probably end up starving up in that apartment, because I can't keep stealing from stores, it isn't right.

"It is." She nodded her head gently.

My face lit up at her words and she could see the excitement radiating off my face. I couldn't believe it, I had a chance to get a real job.

"How do I erm...get the job?" I rubbed the back of my neck.

"What's your name sweetie." She asked me politely, getting out a pen.

"Eden Harlow." I looked at her with intent, desperation was written all over my face.

"You're the only person that has come in here for the job and I've had that sign up for a week." She chuckled to herself. "You must be the only other person in this town that actually appreciates literature."

"I actually take English at my new college and I've always enjoyed reading if I'm being honest. I've just never had the money to afford books."

I frowned at the last part and so did she, seeing that I clearly had a financial issue going on.

"You can actually take out books here for free with a library card, we can set that up for you tomorrow on your first day."

My head shot up after I processed the last part of her sentence. My first day? Was she...hiring me?

"My first day?" I looked at her just waiting for her to confirm the fact.

"You can have the job dear." She smiled at me warmly. "I'm Mrs Jones by the way, but you can just call me Betty."

She stuck her hand out over the counter and I immediately took it, shaking her delicate hand gently. Her smile was so radiant, so cheerful and caring.

"Thank you so much." My eyes widened a little at the fact that I had just gotten a job.

"No, thank you." She shook her head. "I was waiting for someone to come in, I've really been having trouble sorting everything out here by myself. Plus all of the book boxes are extremely heavy for me."

Once I had shown her my college timetable, we had worked out a way to sort out what hours I would work at the store. Most of them were after college, but on a Tuesday when I only had English last period, I was working in the morning before college.

I wasn't even bothered, I was so happy to start work and finally have a job. This day honestly couldn't get any better. But you know what they say, if it can't get better then it can only get worse.

Once I got home, my mum was back for some reason. She didn't seem right though, it was like she was on another drug high. I closed the door to the apartment which grabbed her attention immediately, her head snapped towards me.

"Where have you been." Her voice was strained and hollow, yet it still had depth to it.

Her eyes travelled down to the bag of necessities in my left hand. Her eyes then came back up to my own, squinting at me.

"I was at college." I shrugged, as if it was obvious.

"And where did all of that come from." Her tone was cold and harsh. "Did you steal those too."

She was really mocking me.

"No." I gritted my teeth. "And I wouldn't even need to steal if you would just buy me food like a real parent."

"What did you just say to me." She seethed.

"You're starving me in here!" I raised my voice. "You're more concerned about selling yourself and using drugs than what you are about your own child!"

She took steps closer to me and I could see the anger in her eyes, it looked like fire was within her eyes. Seconds later something connected with my face, causing me to stumble back a little. My hand releases the small bag of shopping in my grip. The force of it had struck me hard, I felt a shooting pain underneath my right eye. I winced in pain as I brought my hand to my face, feeling my hand dampen slightly. When I removed my hand, droplets of thick red blood trickled down my face and onto the hardwood floor.

I felt a hand on my forearm. "Eden..."

I yanked my arm away and out of her grip, feeling anger take over my body instantly.

"Don't fucking touch me!" I shouted at her.

"Eden I'm sorry..."

I pushed her out of my way and headed to the bathroom, trying to find something to stop the bleeding. I picked up a facial town and pressed it against my face, not even being able to open my eye.

When I got out of the bathroom, she was there going through the bag that I had just brought in, which only infuriated me even more.

"I fucking hate you, do you know that?" I seethed, venom coursing through my veins, becoming evident in my voice. "I wish it was you that was gone. It should've been you."

And with that I was out the door and onto the streets, needing to get out of that situation as soon as possible. I just couldn't believe she did that. But then again, it wasn't the first time she had struck me. It definitely wasn't the first time.