↬A.M.↭DARKNESS↫

"Slow down, boy," Arthur called, patting his horse as it came to a stop next to a tree. You snickered. "Wasso funny?" He asked, turning in his saddle to glance back at you.

"Boah." You cracked a smile. "You gave him a name, right? Are ya gonna use it?" He thought for a moment.

"Haven't decided." He threw his leg over the horse and fell to the forest floor, patting himself off. You followed suit, checking to make sure the deer you caught earlier was still secure.

"What we doing here anyway?" you asked, patting your horse and turning to your companion. You spotted what he was getting out and turned pale. "We're not camping out here, are we?"

"Yes, we are." He rose an eyebrow. "There a problem?"

"Can't we just go into town?" you suggested, trying to keep the fear from your voice. He set down a couple sticks in the campfire, then set it ablaze.

"Nah. We might get recognized." He continued to set up as you came up with every excuse you could think of to avoid staying out in the forest.

Growing tired of your griping, Arthur finally sighed. "(Y/N), do you have a real reason for not staying out here or are you just talking to talk?" Your jaw snapped shut. You did, but you weren't about to suck up your pride and spill.

"Just don't want a wolf to get the horses or that meat we're bringing back," you mumbled, gesturing to the deer. Arthur thought about this then stood and approached your horse. He gave it an oatcake--which explained why your horse always wanted to greet him but not you--then plucked the deer off its back.

"Then let's eat it."

"But-"

"We can always kill another one tomorrow." He set the deer by the fire and began skinning it. You watched in silent panic. You had run out of excuses.

"Fine. But we're staying in the same tent." You pointed at him and he chuckled.

"Why? You scared of the outdoors or just looking for a reason to sleep with me?" You ignored the heat in your cheeks and glared at him.

"It's safer, and I don't feel like putting mine up." A pause. "Stop smiling." The smirk never left his lips as he stuck a piece of meat on his hunting knife and held it over the fire.

You ate a couple pieces of venison but you weren't hungry. The fear prevented it. Truth was: you were terrified of the dark, or more importantly, what was in it. The forest was filled with all sorts of horrible things you couldn't see coming, and if you could help it, you'd never step foot in it after dark. But you couldn't help it; you would have to spend a night out here. Assuming you could even fall asleep, all you'd have is nightmares. This already felt like a nightmare and the sky was still a light purple.

"Why'd I say yes?" you grumbled, pulling your knees close to your chest.

"What's that?" Arthur looked up from his journal.

"Why'd you ask me to come with you if you were only going hunting?" you asked.

"Just thought you'd want out of the camp for a bit is all. Miss Grimshaw's been working y'all to the bone."

"Well," you laughed, "you got that right." You nodded at his journal. "Whatcha doing?"

"Just doodling."

"What?"

"The camp."

"Cool." The fire crackled between you two as you stared at nothing. A sudden snapping twig made you jolt and look around wildly.