↬J.M.↭FAMILY ISSUES↫

He couldn't be around Abigail and the kid anymore. Whose son was he? The question circled in his hazy mind as he leaned against the bar. It could be his; Abigail said it was, but what did she know? Deep down he wanted the kid to be his, but logic told him the chances weren't in his favor.

He threw back another shot and sighed. He ran away from the gang a week ago and all he'd been doing since was drinking. It wasn't a good use of the little money he had but he didn't know what else to do. Eventually he'd run out. What then?

A stranger roughly slammed their body against the bar with a grunt. John looked up at the woman as she kept her arms barred against a man trying to get intimate with her. The woman's eyes locked with John's and they lit up.

"Hey honey, could you help me out here?" she asked. John blinked.

"You're taken?" The drunk said, looking between the two but not stopping his attempt to place a sloppy kiss on her cheek. She grunted as she tried to push him away.

"Honey..." She looked at John, pleading with her eyes. He set his glass down on the bar and turned to the drunk.

"You heard the lady, friend." The man finally backed off, his lower lip jutting out in a pout.

"You just met him," he pointed out. The woman thought quickly and placed a quick peck on John's cheek, startling the outlaw.

"That's not true! We've been together, what, nearly 3 years now honey?" She wrapped her arms around him tightly, smiling up at him with the same plea in her eyes. He hesitantly placed an arm around her.

"Yep."

"So I'd appreciate if you'd leave me alone so I can spend time with my husband." The drunk somberly lumbered off, glancing over his shoulder at the lady as he exited the saloon. The woman stayed put until she was sure he was out of sight then promptly released John. "I'm real sorry about that Mister." She sent an apologetic smile his way. "Next round's on me."

"Thanks Miss...?" They both spun to face the bar as she waved down the bartender.

"(Y/N) (L/N)." She tilted her hat in a hello.

"John Marston."

"Anyone tell you you're a good actor Mr. Marston?"

He chuckled. "I don't know about that. You did most of the talking." She grinned.

"In their drunken haze I don't think they realize I'm not..." She gestured to the other ladies flirting with the men. "It happens more than I care to admit." The bartender placed a couple shots of whiskey in front of the two and they downed them.

(Y/N) tapped the glass on the bar as if thinking. "Say, are you free?" John looked down at her in shock. "Uh, I meant free like available. To do a job with me." Her ears turned pink but that could've been from the alcohol. "It's probably too early, I just met you-"

"What were you thinking?" He faced her. Her eyes darted down to his gun belt.

"You any good with them?"

~~~

"Help! Someone please help me!" (Y/N) ran onto the road flailing her arms, her coat flying up almost far enough to reveal her gun belt. The stagecoach came to a halt as the driver looked down at her in confusion. John snuck up behind the coach and began picking the lock of the trunk as (Y/N) put on a show.

"I just escaped from those- those- bad men! They tried to hurt me! They killed my husband!" She sobbed dramatically as the driver looked uncomfortable. The gunman beside him looked down the road.