Chapter One

The grass is wet below your feet as you begin walking towards the direction you were given. There are few lights to be seen but a few scattered around enough for you to be able to make out the path you were supposed to be going on. The walk felt never ending – your nerves catching up to you with every stride you take.

"You must be (y/n)?" A dark husky voice came from behind you.

It's late in the evening and you had just arrived at the Jedi Temple after a long trip there with Luke Skywalker. Wait, how is this even real, a trip with "the" Luke Skywalker. You knew how it was real, but it wasn't something you were going to think about quite yet.

You turn abruptly to meet the voice, and you were taken aback by the mere size of this man.

"Uh, yeah, that's my name." You manage to spit out whilst taking in just how small you look compared to this man. You were curious if all up-and-coming Jedi looked this intimidating. Probably, you decided.

"Good. It would be kind of weird if it wasn't." Now that you can take him in, he's quite a bit taller than you, his face is dotted with freckles, and he's got maybe some of the best hair you've ever seen. Your mind is so far off in its own world that you chuckle to yourself. This man shifts himself to get a bit more in your line of vision and gives you a look of curiosity.

"What's funny?"

"Sorry, I've just been on quite possibly the longest and most boring trip of my life. And I was merely laughing because in my years of living, I don't think I've ever seen hair as good as yours," you can feel your cheeks turn red as the embarrassment hits you that you actually said that out loud, "and you're like gigantically tall, which, to me, makes your nice hair funnier." You let out a light laugh when you tilt your head up to see him move his hands to be pushing his hair from around his face to behind his ears, his cheeks are also turning a light shade of red.

"Oh? Well, that's a new one." He sounded defeated, his eyes shifting to the ground.

"I'm sorry?" you're confused by his tone, "What do you mean by 'new one'?"

"Most the time people here just make fun of me for my devotion to learning or because of my family. Being made fun of for my looks, that's a new one." His voice waivers when he says this.

Oh. Oh shit. You didn't mean to make him feel small, but you could tell that for whatever reason, your words cut him down. A feeling you were all too familiar with.

"Oh, no! I'm sorry. I wasn't' making fun of you, or your looks," you sigh, "that's for sure." You take a step back as the tension between the two of you grows.

"I don't even know who your family is, so I quite frankly can't make fun of you for that. I just got here, so you may be a nerd, but I wouldn't know that either." You tilt your head down so you don't have to look him in the eyes, "but I can promise you, making fun of your looks was definitely not what I was doing."

You twiddle your fingers as you wait for some kind of response.

His response is lower, even though you weren't sure how his voice could've gotten lower.

"You aren't like everyone else here," he takes a step towards you and he's radiating a warmth that wasn't there before, his voice is brighter when the next words leave his breath, "don't worry, I'm not either."

You are startled by this interaction. Does he know your past? You doubt it, you come from nothing, you come from absolutely nothing. You start getting uncomfortable, your brain rethinking the past few weeks over again,

"I'm going to find my hut," you shake your head trying to not get stuck in the past, "but it was nice meeting you --- " you stop, trying to recall if he has told you what his name was. You were pretty sure he hadn't.