CHAPTER VI: RED CARPET ISLE

Rowan had never been to the Isle before. On all of the VK's journeys to the Isle of the Lost, Rowan had stayed behind in Auradon, eagerly waiting to hear of their fights, witty jabs, and adventure. She had always longed to visit, but had never had a good opportunity until now.

Melody helped the excited girl pack her bags. Mal had told everyone to bring only what they needed, but to plan to stay for a few days. No one had any sort of idea what they were walking into. Most of the kids of the Isle, that the VK's had grown up with had moved to Auradon after the barriers were lifted. They couldn't recall who was left besides their parents, and they hoped that it wouldn't be too strange venturing back 'home.'

"Okay, you're going to need good shoes, so I've set aside your black boots right here," Ariel's daughter pointed to Rowan's sturdy combat boots. "I've packed the essentials—underwear, toothpaste, toothbrush—and an extra pair of black leggings in case you rip yours somewhere." Rowan walked up to her roommate, putting her hand on her shoulders.

"Everything is going to be fine," she lied to the girl, not sure of the outcome of this adventure herself. "We're only going to be there a couple days at most!"

Melody sighed, sitting back on the bed. "Yes, but you still haven't told me why the hurry to get there so soon is."

"I told you, Mel. The VK's miss the Isle, and I've never gotten to go! King Ben has already made arrangements for our absences from class, and it is all going to work out swimmingly. Besides, what's the worst that could happen?"

Melody grabbed Rowan's satchel, now filled with extra clothes and necessities, as Rowan laced up her black Duck Marten's (yes, Duck Marten's, the Auradonian knock-offs).

"Uh, I don't know, you could get hurt, or worse, die?!" Melody exclaimed as she handed Rowan the bag. She had always been curious about the people of the Isle, but had never wanted to visit there herself.

"Oh honey, to die would be an awfully great adventure!" Rowan giggled, quoting her father. "I have to go! I'll see you very soon!" the girl said as she exited her dorm, closing the door behind her.

Rowan made her way to the bridge gate, at the entrance of Auradon. Mal had told them all to meet there at eight. Rowan glanced at the giant clock tower behind her, which read 7:53.

Right on time, she thought to herself.

Surely enough, as she came to the entrance, she saw the rest of the crew standing ready, bags over their own shoulders.

"There she is!" Mal cheered, as she saw the brunette come into view. "Let's do this."

Rowan fell in line behind the group, as they started the long walk across the enchanted bridge. Ben had stayed behind to mind the kingdom, so it was only Evie, Jay, Mal, Carlos, Gil, Uma, Harry and Rowan. Still quite a large group to try to inconspicuously sneak around the alleyways of the Isle of the Lost.

Rowan noticed that Harry was walking off to the side by himself, and without thinking, she picked up the pace to walk beside him. His hands were clenched at his sides, his facial features hardened. He didn't even look over as the shorter brunette fell into step with him.

"What?" he snapped at her.

"You don't have to be so rude," she said, taken aback. "I came to see if you were alright?"

"I don't know, princess. Does it look like I'm alright?" he questioned, still not bothering to spare a glance her way.

"No, it looks like you still have a stick up your ass. Does it hurt?" Rowan snapped back at the taller man.