11: Ghosts

At my highest, she appears to pull me down,

That lady dressed in a glittering white gown.

At my lowest, she drags me even deeper,

And whispers, "If only you did better."

- J., 2018

Yingyue feared this was going to be the end.

After today, things between her and Jihoon will never be the same. She just knew it. Even though she had his number and they could still communicate via Wechat, the commonalities that bound them together were tenuous. In the first place, he stayed with her only because he felt obliged to do so. Now that her wound has healed and she could manage on her own, he no longer had a reason to stay. Besides, with the holiday ending, he was bound to be busy and since their everyday lives did not usually intersect, his job, his friends, and everything else that did not involve her will drag him farther away.

That is unless he wanted to see her again.

Did he?

Helplessly, she watched as Jihoon carried his suitcase down the stairs in preparation for his departure this afternoon. If only she could find a reason to prolong his stay. Why couldn't time slow down a little? Why couldn't this week last a little longer?

"Hey," Jihoon said when he finally reached the bottom of the staircase.

Yingyue made herself smile. "Hi! Everything set?"

"Mmm, more or less."

"You're going back to work tomorrow, right?" She watched as he rolled his suitcase towards the living room and left it next to the front door.

"Unfortunately."

He made his way back to the breakfast bar where she sat with her laptop. Once he was across from her, Jihoon straddled a stool and propped his chin against his hand. His V-necked shirt dipped low on his chest. To her surprise, she noticed the edges of dark ink tattooed on his honeyed skin. She narrowed her gaze trying to make out the pattern.

"See anything interesting, Miss Hu?"

"Huh?" Are those scales? Stripes? If only he leaned forward just a little, she'd be able to make it out.

"Is this how women feel when men ogle their chests?"

"W-what?"

"My chest. You seem very interested in it."

"Oh!" She finally looked up and found a knowing smirk playing at a corner of his lips. Immediately, she squeezed her eyes shut, cringing at her lack of subtlety. "I'm... I'm sorry! I was... I was..."

"No, it's okay. Look all you want. Maybe you want me to unbutton my shirt for you?"

"N-no!"

He quirked up an eyebrow and played with the button of his shirt. "Are you sure? Because I don't really mind."

"K-Kang Jihoon!"

"Yes?"

"Stop t-teasing me!"

"Why? It's so much fun."

She placed the back of her hands against her cheeks to cool them down. "I swear if I tease you right back, you'll be sorry."

"Will I?"

"Stay right there then."

He thought she wouldn't do anything? Pursing her lips, Yingyue jumped off her stool and circled the bar to where he was.