14: Broken

CW: Self-harm

Stealthy shadows of the night,

From their razor sharp claws I take flight.

Yet how could I possibly run away?

For the shadow and I are one in the light of day.

- J.

When Jihoon drove to Yingyue's place, unable to make a decision and not knowing what to do once he got there, the last thing he had expected was to find a lone woman crying in a dark corner. Mouth agape, he nearly fell backwards in his rush to runaway.

Cursing his decision to walk the remaining block, he remembered the stories his overly superstitious grandma used to tell about vengeful ghosts. That was the time his father, tired of Jihoon's rebellious ways, had sent him back to Korea to continue his high school education under his halmeoni's strict guidance. Back then, Jihoon had secretly scoffed every time she scolded him for doing one thing or another that would summon evil spirits or bring death itself. After all, his mom was a scientist and he prided himself on having a rational mind. Having lived with his grandma for over four years, however, had obviously allowed some of her beliefs to insidiously creep into his subconscious. Why else would he be panicking about something that could easily be explained?

Get a hold of yourself!

Nursing his bruised ego, Jihoon breathed through the loud pounding of his heart and once again assessed the situation. The woman had her back towards him, her body looking incredibly small as she pressed herself against the wall. He couldn't see much except for the white coat she wore. The fur trim lining the collar was familiar, though. Didn't Yingyue have something similar? He remembered her wearing it to the hospital a few days ago.

But what's she doing out here at this time of night?

Didn't she fear leaving her house? Jihoon was about to dismiss the possibility it was Yingyue, but a niggling thought stopped him from walking away. At the very least, he had to confirm. If it wasn't her, then he was going to possibly help a stranger in need. But if it was indeed Yingyue, then all the more reason he shouldn't leave. Steeling himself against the embarrassing shiver racing up his spine, he slowly approached the woman.

"Miss... Are you okay?"

"Go away!" she shouted. "Leave me alone."

That voice...

"Ying...Yingyue?" The moment she raised her head and Jihoon saw her tear-stained face, he knew he would never have forgiven himself if he had left her there. "Yingyue! It is you! What are you doing here?"

His heart constricted in his chest and his knees buckled as every protective cell he possessed screamed at him to quickly take her in his arms. Crouching to her level, he moved to embrace her. To his surprise, she fought against him. "Let me go! Please! Please!"