Chapter 1.

Isla Delaney had always loved the library. It was her refuge from the world, from others who didn't understand. "Just make friends!" her well-meaning mother would encourage her, but Isla knew deep down that it wasn't that easy. She was always too weird, too awkward, too gauche. She'd tried a million times already.

Letting a sigh escape her lips, Isla began perusing the shelves in search of something interesting to read. She loved this part, the anticipation of finding her next world to dive into. She imagined it was like the moment before you jumped out of the plane when you went skydiving.

As she looked, one book caught her attention. It wasn't at all in the right place, and its black and white design stood out in contrast to the bright colors and titles of the young adult novels around her.

"How to Make Friends? How fitting" Isla scoffed as she put down the book. What could that book tell her that she hadn't already heard?

Isla moved on, trying to pick a romance to read, but her mind was still on that black and white book. Loneliness tugged at her heart, and her never-ending curiosity began to rise up. What if this book held the key? Unless she opened it, she wouldn't stop thinking about it.

"Can't hurt to read it" she sighed as she picked it up and sat at a nearby table, dumping her bag on the floor. Her little homemade key rings jingled as she got comfortable and finally opened the book.

'Introduction: the author's story' was what she was met with. The author explained how they went from being very shy and lonely to being surrounded by friends and being easily able to make them. 'It all starts with acceptance' ended the first part of the book.

As Isla turned the page, a folded piece of paper fell out onto the table in front of her. Upon opening it, she discovered a scribbled note.

To whoever's reading this,

Hi there, my name's Nicholas. If you're reading this book, I'm guessing you want to make friends. I do too, so consider me as your first friend. I'll tell you more about me if you tell me more about you, so write a note back to me in this book and I'll read it.

At first, Isla's reaction was surprise. Who leaves a note for a stranger these days? Then, as she read it again, an idea began to take hold. Here was a unique opportunity to get to know someone without them already thinking she was weird. She couldn't let it pass.

"Okay Nicholas", she thought, "I guess we can be friends."