Chapter 6.

The two continued to see each other almost every day as they waited for the book to be put back. They'd meet up in the library and chat, watching to see if anyone was giving it back. It took about two weeks before they finally caught sight of it in the hands of an older woman.

"There it is!" Isla gestured. "Finally!"

They waited for the woman to give it back, but instead she walked into the library and approached their table. "Do you mind if I sit here?"

"Of course not."

Isla moved her things and the woman sat opposite them.

"I don't quite know how to say this, but I know that you two have been sending messages in this book. I didn't mean to pry, but when I first came to borrow the book I found your notes. I left it there so you could continue talking."

"Well that's nice I guess. But what made you borrow it?" Nick asked.

The woman sighed. "Because reading your notes made me realize just how lonely I am. I'm 65, and my husband died about five years ago. I have no children, no friends, no one I can talk to. I thought that maybe this book could help me, but when I saw your notes it warmed my heart. It felt like I had two friends. But you don't know me. So I borrowed this book to actually read it to know how to approach you."

Both Isla and Nick were touched by the woman's story. Neither of them knew that someone else was in on their scheme.

"What's your name?" Isla asked.

"Gisele."

"Well Gisele, we'd be happy to be your friends."

Gisele hadn't thought they'd want to be friends with an old woman, but both Nick and Isla understood exactly what it was to be lonely. They wouldn't let this woman be alone in the latter years of her life.

In order to get to know Gisele, they decided to organize a picnic where they'd talk about the notes and their lives. They learnt that Gisele loved to cook, and that she was a very good cook too. She loved hanging out with young people, as it made her feel more a part of society.

The trio soon began to hang out at Gisele's place, taking the opportunity to make it a little merrier. Having another friend was helping Isla and Nick as much as it was helping Gisele.