Chapter 2.

Isla came back the very next day with her response. She'd wanted to think about how best to introduce herself to someone she didn't know.

Hi Nicholas, my name is Isla. I'm 18 and I love reading (obviously). Here are some things you should know about me:

- I'm an introvert

- I love the color orange

- I like making crafts in my free time

- I'm in college

- I have a cat called Tabby.

That's about it! Tell me a bit about you. Like, how come you left this note? I'm curious. Isla x

It may have seemed silly but Isla was nervous: this was the first time in years she'd tried to make a friend, and she didn't want it to go wrong.

"Here goes" she sighed as she put the book back where she'd found it initially. Hopefully Nicholas would be inclined to answer.

In class the next day, Isla could only think about one thing: the note. Would it be answered right away or would she have to wait some more? She just wanted everything to happen instantly.

Isla's feet took her to the library faster than they ever had before as she went straight to the shelf holding the book. It was there waiting with a new note.

Hello Isla, nice name by the way. I'm also 18 but I don't go to college. I'm curious to know what crafts you like doing. I'm more of a video games guy myself.

I sent this note because honestly, I don't have any friends. After reading this book, I decided to really try to make friends. I wrote a note on a whim and here we are!

Btw, I have a dog named Wilbur. (P.S.: my favorite color is green). Nicholas x

Isla smiled as she read the note, all stress disappearing. Nicholas seemed nice, and there was no reason for things to go badly with him. She could be herself with him.

She picked up her pen and began writing, letting the words just flow.

Hey Nicholas, can I call you Nick? This may sound weird, but I like making dolls. Mainly the stuffed kind. I make stuffed animals too. Most people find that weird, but I like it. I also occasionally make home decor items.

What video games do you play? I'm terrible at them myself. If you don't mind me asking, why don't you have friends? For me it's because I'm socially awkward and everyone finds me weird. I picked up this book out of curiosity mainly.

Anyway, gotta go now.

Isla x

Before putting the book back, Isla decided to actually read some of it. There was some good advice in there, mainly centered on the topic of self-acceptance and being interested in others. She made a mental note to try some of it before slipping her actual note into the book and closing it.