Author Spotlight: @LizzieNewell

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what words wouldn't you use?

absolutist, conservative, conventional, typical

Think back to when you were in school. What was your favourite subject?

anthropology, economics, environmental psychology, western civilization.

When you were a young 'un, what did you want to be when you grew up?

An illustrator. Then I realized I wanted to convey my own ideas, not someone else's so I changed to being a sculptor, then being an author.

What does Tevun-Krus mean to you?

The longest running zine that's available on Wattpad. For me this is a great opportunity to reach readers with short-stories, a valuable alternative to professional short-story markets.

Tell us about your reading/writing habits. If you're not a writer, then simply the former will suffice!

I've been writing science fiction for 19 years and doing an extensive amount of critique exchange during that time. Most of my reading is of work in progress. During a week, I typically attend 2 in person writers groups, reading and critiquing 5-10 pieces. Typically I've been a member of 1-2 online writers groups as well. Otherwise I both read and write in binges. If I find something I really like, I read it cover to cover, usually in under a day. I write the same way. If I have an idea I like, I think about it, mentally rehearse and write the first draft quickly. Editing is much slower. I do a lot of rewriting.

As your crew casts your lifeless body into the heart of the nearest star, list three pieces of music likely to be rattling the bulkheads of your beloved vessel!

I Dreamed a Dream--Fantine Les Miserable, The World is alway Turning toward the Morning--Gordon Bok, How can I Keep From Singing? In that order.

Who is your all-time favourite author? How much, if at all, has their work influenced your writing style?

Lois McMaster Bujold. Our work was already similar before I discovered hers. Our themes, conception, and approach to writing seems similar. I struggle to match her in results.

Of everything you've written, which piece is your favourite?

Published piece = The Fisherman and the Gene Thief. Not yet published = Black Sky Princess. Publication is being held up because I'm trying for professional short story markets.

Pitch the above story to us. Make us really want to read it!

The Fisherman and the Gene Thief Teakh's genetics are top quality, valued because they're believed to code for altruism and monogamy. Although a poor fisherman, he potentially could become the top grossing sperm donor on the planet Fenria. Unaware of the value of his genetic coding, he meets with three beautiful women who seduce him, and steal his sperm to be sold on the black market. True to his genetics, he falls in love and sets out to find his favorite of the three—his one true love who stole both his semen and his heart.

To what extent does the mythical 'real life' influence your writing?

My fictional world is based on my home of Alaska--both history and geography. I'm deeply concerned about the economy and future of Alaska, the US, and the world. My hope has been to bring about a just and sustainable future by getting people to think creatively about problems. I'm also taking on these problems more directly. This struggle both influences my writing and is influenced by it.

If you could have any superpower, what would that be and why?

Telekirics(remote hands) These are realistic technology—remote-control devices that give a person the sensation of shape-shifting. They are like drones, only better because they have have two way data for tele-haptics (remote tactile sensation) and tele-kinesthetics (remote sense of body movement). These have a huge number of useful applications, including surgery, household repair, maintenance of remote weather stations and satellites--not to mention sex. I explore this technology in my writing.

What would you do if you woke up one day and suddenly realized you were an alien from another world?

I would question my sanity, and would set out to discover it were true or not.

The Technological Singularity presents a rather daunting, some say inevitable, future. Does the prospect of that level of artificial intelligence excite you, or leave you quaking in your space boots?

I think algorithms already control society. The challenge is how to redesign these algorithms to serve human rights as laid out by the Universal Declaration of Human rights: "life, liberty, and security of person." These should be used as the "laws of robotic." These rights are inherent to all those who have reason conscience, not just to humans. I believe that if securing these rights are the goal, then it's imperative that we use computer modeling and AI to find the best way to achieve this goal. The major danger isn't from AI; it's human greed.

Who was your first Sci-Fi crush? Who is your current one?

I assume this means admiration of writing, not sexual or romantic attraction. The first would be Rudyard Kipling. Currently RayDillinger of Wattpad. Wow! He has such imagination and knowledge.

If you could experience the world of any Sci-Fi story on Wattpad, which would that be and why?

RayDillinger's world written about in Jessica Seventeen. I'd love to be able to experience the strange environments of his space habitats and stations.

And finally, any words of wisdom to new and aspiring Sci-Fi writers?

Consider your goals—why you are writing—and do your research about how to best achieve them. A lot of shysters are making money off of writers. If you are clear about your own goals you're less likely to be roped in by them. Beware of anyone trying to make you feel guilty, saying that your goals are unworthy, or that your goals are only achievable if the shyster's advice is followed. Run the other way. Also recognize that other writers have goals that may be different from yours. Keep this in mind when giving and receiving advice.