Chapter Eight - Legacies And Lies

The news of another Hogsmeade visit had the whole school buzzing with excitement. Christmas would soon be upon them and since most people were returning to their families over the short break, many were trying to get in a little early celebration with their friends. The train would depart from Hogsmeade the day after the visit and would return two weeks later with everyone fresh-faced and ready to face the new year. Or at least that was the hope. 

Harry, Ron and Hermione would be staying over the holidays, as was Maisie since her father was required to stay. Halley was also staying because of McGonagall and since it was her birthday on the 24th, the twins had agreed to stay as well, which brightened her day when they told her. 

The morning of the Hogsmeade visit, however, wasn't quite as joyful as some people had hoped.  After finding out that Halley had promised the day to Cedric, Lee and the twins were decidedly grumpy at being ditched a second time. Harry was also quite miserable, he wanted nothing more than to be able to experience everything the wizarding village had to offer but couldn't. Ron had offered that they'd stay behind but Hermione reminded him it was their last chance to do some Christmas shopping before the holidays and Harry didn't want to force them to stay out of pity either. 

When Halley caught sight of the gloomy Potter she nudged Fred and George who were still pouting at her. "Oh give it a rest, you've got me for two whole weeks after today. Now quit pouting and go give Harry his present, he looks like he could do with some holiday cheer." She said quietly with a tone in her voice that left little room for any arguments. 

"Alright, we'll see you later yeah?" Fred asked and Halley nodded before walking over to Cedric who was waiting patiently by the door, all wrapped up ready to brave the chilly December weather. 

"Nice scarf" Cedric grinned as he noticed the black and yellow garment just poking out of her coat and wrapped an arm around the Gryffindor as they walked out of the school and headed down to the village with everyone else. 

Fred started after them for a moment, his stomach knotted painfully. "Come on Georgie, let's get it over with." He sighed and tracked down the bespectacled youth ready to make his day. 

"I can't believe you actually called her mum." Halley laughed at Cedric's story as they sat in the three broomsticks, their hands wrapped around their mugs of butterbeer. 

"Honest truth, I thought I was going to die of embarrassment and no one let me forget it for months, Professor Sprout was really nice about it though and she didn't give me homework for a week." He grinned and finished off his drink. "I was only in my first year, it was the first birthday I'd had without my parents around and I was homesick so it was an easy mistake to make." 

Halley smiled, her cheeks were a pleasant rosy colour from the warmth of the pub and from how much she'd been laughing. "I bet you were a cute first year, I can see it now, little feet not being able to touch the floor whenever you sat down, your robes being slightly too big because your mother insisted on it in case you had a growth spurt while you were at school." She giggled and finished off her drink as well. 

"You're one to talk about being small, when's your growth spurt again? Oh, right it already happened." He teased her playfully then leant over and wiped off some foam from her top lip which made her blush deeply. "Listen, I know I said I'd be staying this Christmas but mum sent a letter saying that dad had managed to get time off work so I decided to go home instead, I hope you're not angry." He admitted and actually looked abit worried as to how she would respond. 

Her smile dropped a little but she took his hand in hers and rubbed her thumb over his palm. "It's alright, you should be with family at Christmas it's important." She leant over and kissed his cheek, letting her lips linger for a second then sat back with a very pink face.