02 | i know you

POINT OF VIEWCHOI HAEUN

POINT OF VIEW
CHOI HAEUN

I'VE HAD THE SAME
reoccurring dream for four nights
in a row now.

I stand in total darkness for a few moments, and then I see myself—my younger self, at the fireworks festival. I'm crying, until I see my parents, standing on the beach as they watch the fireworks. Both my younger self and I run toward them, only for both my parents and my younger self to fade the closer I get.

And then, a man with grey hair stands but meters away from me, only I can't see his face. There's this aura around him that creates a small glow from where he stands, illuminating the darkness. But when I ask who he is, the dream ends. I awake in a cold sweat, frazzled.

I have no idea what the dream means, and it's been making it hard to focus in class.

I stare out the window at the beautiful day, a bit upset that we're stuck inside. At least our English professor during first hour agreed to open the windows. We now sit in our last hour of the day, Physical Science.

"Hey, Eunny," Jimin whispers, catching me off guard.

"U-Uh, yeah?" I stutter in surprise.

He tilts his head a bit, looking concerned. "You feeling okay? You look a little pale—"

"Park Jimin-ssi, perhaps you'd like to explain to the class Newton's First Law, since you seem so engaged in the topic." Our teacher, Seo Hajoon, said loudly.

Jimin bowed his head, saying, "Excuse me, Sonseang-nim. I didn't mean to interrupt."

Our teacher only gave Jimin a stern look, continuing on with the lesson. I looked over to Jimin, who had his head held low, looking embarrassed.

"I'm okay, Jimin-a. Sorry." I whispered, waiting for him to look at me. When he looked up, I tried to give him a reassuring smile. He didn't smile back. Instead, he turned away and covered his mouth with the back of his hand. His face became red, like he was suddenly twice as embarrassed.

I was confused. Should I not have said anything?

By the end of the hour, it was finally time to go home.

"All rise!" Our class president, Meo Dabin, announced. We each stood from our seats, addressing the front of the room.

"Bow!" She finished. We bowed in unison, then stood straight, and began to gather our things. Suddenly, Chunhei practically came flying into our classroom.