03 | taehyung

POINT OF VIEWPARK JIMIN

POINT OF VIEW
PARK JIMIN

I WAS ELEVEN YEARS OLD
when I first spoke to Haeun.

We had been going to the same school for six years, however, it was the first time we'd ever had a class together.

Back then, she was the same height as me, her hair was shorter, and she kind of dressed like a boy.

At first, I didn't really have an opinion about her. She was just another girl in my class. I remember during recess, you would always find her on the swing sets. She was one of the kids who always made sure to get to the front of the line before it was time to go outside, just so that they were guaranteed a swing. I always preferred the blacktop, where we played kickball or basketball.

But one day, she surprised me.

Haeun, full of bravery and confidence, marched right up to my group of friends and I, demanding to play kickball with us.

They all laughed. Hysterically.

Honestly, I did too, at first. But after we'd all calmed down a bit, she stomped over to Hyungsik—the more "popular" boy in our group—and grabbed the collar of his shirt.

With a glint of anger in her eyes, she growled, "What's so funny? A girl can't kick a ball in the air?"

We stared at her in silence, suddenly and completely intimidated.

Hyungsik looked like he was about to piss himself.

"W-Well," He started, a drop of sweat running from his forehead to the tip of his nose, "usually g-girls don't play with us, Choi Haeun-ssi." He whimpered out, eyes as wide as saucers.

Haeun glared at him for a moment longer, then released her grip on his shirt. She put her hands on her hips, smiling widely.

"Okay then, starting today, I'm playing kickball!" She declared, running to stand at the first base (which was drawn with yellow chalk.)

We didn't really have any conversations in that year, we were basically just acquaintances, until junior high started. Again, we were put in the same class, and ended up sitting next to each other in the first term.

I was shy and awkward, but she was all smiles, warm and bubbly, not afraid to spark up a conversation.

"Yah, Park Jimin-ssi," She had tapped me on the shoulder, a small smile playing on her lips. "I don't know anyone else here. I'm glad that we got sat next to each other!"