4. The Unexpected Date Part II

Mew finds it hard to keep up with Gulf. Gulf is a bit taller than Mew, and he's taking long strides. Shaking his head with amusement, Mew finally breaks the silence.

"Earth, do you know where to go?" Mew stops walking and folds his arms across his chest. Gulf stops walking, and turns to look at Mew. He shakes his head, his eyes wide and bewildered expression, makes Mew smile genuinely for the first time in a while. "Let me lead the way then." Mew chuckles and pats Gulf's shoulder.

"Where are we headed to first?" Gulf asks.

"First of all to the central building of our department." Mew says.

"Oh, isn't that where the seniors are placed?"

"Placed?" Mew laughs. "Or you can say," Mew goes close to Gulf, "enlightened."

Gulf flushes a shade of magenta. Mew notices it. Yet another fan of mine? He's cute. And Mew frowns at the direction his thoughts. I have known the lad for like, an hour, and it's getting annoying to feel like this. A frown marks his forehead.

"P'Mew has to do a lot of work, isn't it?" Gulf's question brings Mew back to himself.

"Yeah. You can say so. It's hectic."

"Then, how do you get time for yourself?"

"Time for myself?" Mew asks.

"Well," Gulf points his fingers at Mew's chest, "you seem like you workout. Also, I heard you are looking for a part time job. P'Mew doesn't get tired?"

"It's not like I don't get tired. Sometimes I feel like my body would give out. But I have to keep on going." I never told anyone that I am looking for a part time job. Or have I? Mew thinks.

"Your financial condition isn't good?"

"It's not like that. My dad owns a Estate in the States. My family is pretty decent." Mew answers.

"Then Phi, why do you have to overwork?" Gulf stops walking and turns towards Mew.

Mew smiles, and says, "I want to earn money for myself, be independent and support myself. That's all."

"Wow Phi! You've such great thinking. You are a great person." Gulf beams at Mew.

"Now let's get to work, we're almost here." Mew laughs.

"Okay, Phi." Gulf smiles at Mew widely and starts to walk towards the building, when he feels a gentle grip on his wrist.

"Wait." Mew says.

Gulf looks at Mew, puzzled. "What's wrong, P'Mew? Are you not feeling well?" Gulf asks when he sees Mew's expression.

"I'm okay. The thing I wanted to say is," Mew stands closer to Gulf and continues, "Earth, I'm not a great person."

Gulf looks at Mew, searching his face for a clue. Mew smiles a sad smile, which makes Gulf's heart ache for him. What makes him think like that? What pain is he hiding? Gulf wants to ask, but decides against it. He has to give P'Mew time to open up to him. Gulf pats gently on Mew's hand, and looks into Mew's eyes. He smiles and says, "I don't believe you, Phi. Because I don't know that side of yours. The P'Mew I have always seen, is a pill of happiness. Now Phi, let's get to work!" Gulf points at the central building.

"Right. Work." Mew says and let's go of Gulf's hand. I'm dumbfounded. No one has said something like that about me. Mew cannot stop thinking about Gulf's words, and the way he says them.

———

"Are you tired, Earth?" Mew asks Gulf.

"Yes, I think my legs would give up on me any moment."

"Let's sit for a moment, then."

"Thank you, Phi." Gulf says and starts to go to sit on a bench, when suddenly, he feels his world spinning.

"Hey!" Mew immediately grabs Gulf by his waist. "Careful." Mew holds Gulf and makes him sit on the bench.

"It's okay, P'Mew. It's just a headspin."

"Headspin or not, you look unwell. You looked unwell since the morning. Here." He hands his water bottle to Gulf.

"Thanks." Gulf gratefully takes the bottle.

"It's my mistake. I shouldn't have made you work this hard." Mew says, stroking Gulf's hair.

"Phi, don't blame yourself. It's me. I didn't have a proper breakfast."

"Oh my, and you had to skip lunch for all the work!"

"I feel better now."

"You do?"

"Yes."

"Then let's go. My car is parked nearby." Mew says and holds out his hand.

"Where are we going?"

"I'm taking you to have dinner. And I won't accept denial. Here, hold my hand. I don't think you can get up by yourself." Mew points towards his outstretched hand.

"But P'Mew—" Gulf starts to say, but stops when he sees Mew's stern expression. He looks intimidating.

Gulf grabs Mew's hand and Mew holds it back tightly. "Careful." Mew says and walks him slowly towards his car.

In their own world of chatting and knowing more about each other, they don't realise, that people are looking at them with interest, and clicking pictures.