Chapter 1: The Island of Jorvik

'This. Sucks.'

That was all I could think as the eyesore of a yellow boat neared the docks. It was bad enough that there wasn't an airport on the island, meaning the only way in was through sea, but did the boats really have to be this awful? This boat was meant for hauling goods, not people. Not only was I was only one aboard -apart from the man behind the wheel- but I had no where to sit except for either on the metal floor or on top of a crate. Both places were horrible; water kept splashing onto the deck and the boat kept rocking, nearly knocking me off the crate several times in the last four hours. 

The ride alone was enough to make anyone annoyed, but me, I was downright miserable. I should have been back in Canada competing with my part-board horse at the summer eventing show right now. Instead, I was stuck on a boat that was on an unstoppable path to an island I didn't want to be at. All of my equestrian friends thought I was crazy for not wanting to come. Jorvik is an equestrian's paradise, but the language was so hard to grasp that not a lot of people came in from the outside. I don't know if I'd call it lucky, but both my mother and I were born on Jorvik. I lived here until I was about seven years old, then my mother packed us up and moved to Canada after a nasty divorce with my father. My father went M.I.A and never called or asked to visit, so I never came back to the island. Until now, and its not by choice.

The boat finally came to a stop, the ramp lowering to meet the wooden dock as the guard rail lifted. Multiple men immediately climbed aboard and began to unload the crates. I didn't say a word to any of them as I slipped past and jumped from the boat onto the dock, pulling my suitcase behind me. It felt weird, having a solid surface be still after four hours of rocking, but it didn't take long for my legs to adjust and remember how to operate.

'...Where is he?'

I lifted a hand to shield my eyes from the sunlight as I looked around the pier. I hadn't seen my uncle in ten years; rarely spoke to him for that matter. However, since receiving the news that I was going to be staying with him, we've been communicating on a daily basis just to arrange my living conditions as well as some other things. He had sent me a picture of himself so I knew who I was looking for... yet there was no one around that resembled the man in the photo at all. The only people I saw were men in uniform unloading boats.

I huffed in annoyance and shoved my hand into the pocket of my jeans for my phone. I stepped to the side of the pier so I wasn't in anyone's way and leaned against the yellow brick wall as I dialed my uncle's phone number. He answered after the second ring.

"Hey there, Rosie." Uncle Carl greeted. "Did ya' make it to Fort Pinta alright?"

"Yeah, I'm in one piece." I replied. "Are you here? I don't see you anywhere."

Uncle Carl clicked his tongue. "Aw, my message must not have reached ya' that far out to sea. I had somethin' come up at the ranch so I had to send Josh to go grab ya' instead."

My eyebrows furrowed at the unfamiliar name. "Josh?"

"He's my best ranch hand. Young guy, he is. You shouldn' have any trouble findin' him."

"But, there are a lot of young guys around-" I stopped talking when I hear voices in the background calling for Uncle Carl.

"I gotta go now, Rosie. See ya' soon!"

The line went dead after that. I mumbled to myself as I returned my phone to it's rightful place. Listening to him call me 'Rosie' was starting to drive me nuts, but I wasn't quite sure how to tell him to stop so I just dealt with it. He was giving me a place to stay, though, so I supposed putting up with a less-then-preferable nickname wasn't the worst thing in the world. Nothing could be worse then that boat ride.