Chapter 18: Final battle part I

A/N: This has been without a doubt in my mind the most stressful week I've had in a long time. School is driving me crazy and I really don't feel like writing, but I know full well that I can't procrastinate here, so I hope you guys enjoy the chapter.

(Normal pov)

All of the Guardians prepared to advance on the Swarm stronghold, they had rested long enough and were now ready to end their ancient foe once and for all. As Osferth climbed on top of his Light Fury, the king of Eden turned to Valka who was just now climbing on top of Cloudjumper. "Valka." The woman turned to her king and gave him her full attention. "Lead a portion of the Guardian's to liberate the souls slaving away in the Ore Pits. Have Odda accompany you and your team." Valka bowed her head in understanding.

Osferth then turned to Shiloh and Niklaus. "We will be leading the bulk of our forces to the heart of the Swarm stronghold, find their leadership and kill them." Osferth proceeded to put his elegant yet intimidating helmet on and then nodded firmly at his fellow Guardians. "Let us begin." As all the Guardians took flight, they were mindful not to fly high enough to risk being detected, but rather they glided low and kept out of sight and thanks to the early morning darkness? The Guardians were like shadows.

The forces of Eden managed to slip past handfuls of Swarm sentries thanks to the darkness the kept them out of sight. As Osferth and his army made their way out of a narrow cave network, they laid eyes on a courtyard where Swarm soldiers dragged handfuls of children who looked as if they've been deprived of food and water for weeks to the center of the courtyard and then brandished crossbows and aimed them at the children.

"Guardians, come!"

Osferth whispered yelled to his companions, they all urged their dragons to rush towards the enemy soldiers, all expect Niklaus. Before the Swarm soldiers could put these children to death, precise dragon shots struck down the executioners and all the Guardians landed on the courtyard while Osferth, Shiloh, and Valka slid off their dragons and raced towards the children. "We're getting you out of here, hang in there." Eden's king said in a gentle tone, but one of the children looked at Osferth and shook their heads. "Y-You... sh-shouldn't have come here." Shiloh and Valka shared a confused look, however, the child continued speaking. "W-We... were no-nothing more than bait." A tear slid down the child's face as they looked into Osferth's eyes and whimpered out. "It's a trap." That being said, the silhouette of a massive dragon proof chain net closed over the Guardians heads and all entrances that lead in and out of Devil's Keep were locked down with dragon proof gates.

With all the Guardians trapped, Osferth looked towards the heavens and could see Niklaus and his dragon still in the air, and soon there were handfuls of Swarm flyers by Niklaus's side and the sight caused Osferth to realized that they were led into a trap. But before Eden's king could speak, thunderous shrieks hit the Guardians and their dragons will brute force, causing both man and dragon to roar in agony while covering their ears from the high pitch shrieks. The Swarm had in their possession a nest full of dragons called Screamers, these dragons were the size of Monstrous Nightmare's and they bore gray scales, a light red underbelly, and piercing red eyes, they were basically reptilian bats, but they have the ability to release ear-piercing shrieks that can permanently damage their victims hearing.

Before Ghost could use his sheer strength to rip off the dragon proof net keeping the Guardians from escaping, the Swarm riders fired arrows that were laced with a drug that weakens dragons, especially big ones. Once Ghost was hit with handfuls of these arrows, the large alpha dragon fell to the ground and let out a weak growl as the drugs entered the large dragon's blood.

As Niklaus watched Osferth, the Guardians, and their dragons writhing in agony, he turned to his right to see Oliver on top of his Dark Fury. "Noctus and Hilda wish to speak with you." The Swarm heir said to the traitorous Guardian, who nodded his head and followed Oliver and Ripper towards the Swarm palace. Oliver looked down at the suffering Guardians and smiled wickedly at the sight, once they were weak enough? He was about to destroy Casper's idols and shatter his ambitions of becoming a Guardian himself.