Chapter 19 and a half

This contains sex, to put it bluntly. I didn't take long writing this, but I'm still pretty happy with it. You know yourself whether you're mature enough to view this content. Comments and opinions always welcome.

Well, Austin wasn't wrong. I stayed home for the next few days after that, probably lazing away when I could have been doing something productive with my time. I took Alice to her lessons, of course, and occasionally went for a walk either by myself or with Austin. But, for the most of it, I was happily keeping myself company. Until Alex came home. Violet wasn't due back until this evening, and everyone else was previously preoccupied – but I still assumed that it must have been her or Kelly coming home rather than Austin.

A lot of my wasted time and idle energy had been dispersed between trying not to think about Alex, and thinking about nothing but him.

"I'm not cooking today, just so you know," I called out to whoever was coming in the door, sounding all too bored. Which, yeah, I was.

"Good to know," a deep voice responded, the heavy clunk of a bag being dropped onto the floor audible.

Shit.

"How was your, uh, trip?" I asked, glancing over the back of the sofa to Alex who was removing his jacket and untightening his tie with a jerking motion.

"Fine." His voice was coarse, and maybe a little bit stern. That didn't help with any anxiety that I might have been feeling at that moment in time. "But I got this really weird call during one of my conferences," insert a brief pause, "on my business number. So everything was on loud speaker."

Oh, shit.

"Wrong number or something?" I tried to continue casually, but a little croak in my voice gave away that bout of confidence that was now quickly dwindling.

"Must have been," Alex hummed, stepping in to the living room and pivoting around the front of the couch to face my sprawled out position. He looked tired, and a little pissed off at that - shadows beneath his eyes and the five o'clock stubble just hinting at his jawline. "'Cause I don't know a single person that would try starting up phone sex while they were drunk. My friends tend to have a little bit more sense than that."

Ouch, now that was a jab and a half.

"Listen – "

"No, you listen," he cut me off, hands splayed on either side of his hips as he peered down at me, almost predatory in nature. "That call almost cost me my deal, but luckily they believed my bullshit about a wrong number. It's times like these that I really remember that you're just a kid."

"I'm seventeen next week," I shot back, feeling a little offended.

"Exactly, a kid." Alex ran his hand over his face and sighed, squeezing his eyes shut for a moment as he tried to clear his thoughts. "Sam, I don't know what you picked up from what happened – but we should just leave it here. Forget everything that happened and just leave it, alright?"

I was stunned, eyes wide and peering up at him before I lost my shit. Screw the communication techniques that Summers had meticulously brought me through, I was fit to burst.

"No," I huffed, standing up and glaring at him, "you don't get to do that to me. I've been fucked over by too many people just to be dropped in the end. Make the choice right now, do you want to be like everyone else or do you wanna do what you want?"

Silence. Again. Any shred of ferocity that he had before lingered in nothing other than a steady rise and fall of his chest as he furrowed his brows and matched my glare.