XIX

Epiales climbed up on the bed to lay next to Amora, clutching onto her. Amora reached out her hand out to run through his soft curls.

"Close your eyes," she whispered softly as he peered up at her innocently. He looked like a sweet boy, whose mind was untainted.

Epiales cautiously shut his eyes, leaning into Amora's touch,

"I want you to imagine something for me," she murmured, "imagine we are on a beach and the sun is shining directly on us. We are happy. So happy. You pick me up and run into the ocean. I'm laughing. You're laughing. It's the happiest we've ever been. I have sand in my hair because I was lying on the ground and was too stubborn to use your towel when you offered me it. You splash water on me and I scream because it's freezing, and to get you back I jump on your back when you turn around and dunk your head underwater, but you drag me under with you. While we are under the water I refuse to open my eyes because it will sting, but you grip my waist and pull me closer. Then you kiss me."

Amora pauses to look down at him, seeing him smiling contentedly, and his breathing slows.

"I love you," he whispers, his arms snaking around her waist to pull her in, placing his lips against hers.

Amora's eyes immediately close as she leans into the gentle kiss, her fingers tangling through his soft hair.

________________________________________

Amora woke up to cold sheets and an empty room. She sighed as she left the room to seek out some new clothes.

After finding a baby pink dress that fitted her somewhat, Amora sought out to find her mate, which she knew wouldn't be hard as he seemed to constantly be shouting out commands.

The closer she got to the center of the castle the clearer the shouts became.

"Where is the other crown? I want it found this instant!"

Amora walked into the throne room to see Epiales seething at a guard who was shaking in his armour.

She walked up behind him and gently placed a hand on his shoulder, making him whirl around and smile at her, placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

"I have a surprise for you," he smiled, turning around and motioning at the guard, who ran off to another room.

"What is it?" She laughed, seeing the grin on his face.

The guard came running back in, kneeling before them with a sparkling crown in his hands.

Epiales took the crown from him and nodded in thanks, motioning again for him to leave.

"This...belongs to you," he murmured, brushing her hair away from her face.

"Oh no, Epiales, I cannot take that," Amora replied.

"You are my queen." Epiales placed the crown on her head confidently, taking a step back to admire her, "we will be the strongest rulers in werewolf history."

Amora's smile faltered as she stared at him. She had never truly thought of herself as a ruler, even the thought of being Luna of a pack was stomach-churning for her. She knew how power-hungry her mate was, and he needed her for power, as he had told her many times before.

"Come, sit, we have many people coming to talk to us today," Epiales spoke after a minute of silence.

"Who?"

"Since we are now the rulers, we have to speak to almost everyone holding authority around here, the head guard, the royal court..."

"The royal court..." Amora muttered distastefully.

Epiales guided her to a throne before sitting next to her. Amora felt so out of place. So high up and powerful. She felt more in place on the ground looking up at the thrones.

'You are worthless. You will never amount to anything. You will forever be the runt of the pack,' Lincoln spat at her.

Amora did not dare look up at him or reply, knowing it would result in physical violence.

'You are powerless.'

Even now, years after that moment, Amora still felt powerless. Anyone could walk in there and she would feel beneath them.

"Sit upright, the highest members of the court are about to come in," Epiales whispered.

Amora sat up straight, her heart hammering against her ribcage as a large group of people in golden cloaks walked in silently.

________________________________________

After hours upon hours of agreements, arguments and information, Amora and Epiales had finally settled all matters with their new ruling with the court and a variety of other people.

Amora was exhausted and her head ached with the weight of the crown resting upon it.

"Well that was a drag," Epiales laughed, standing up from his throne, "well we better get started on looking through all the current prisoners, I have no doubt Richard was incompetent in that area too."

"Epiales, we have been sitting here for almost seven hours, can't we take a break?" Amora begged, reaching to lift the crown off her head.

"We can't stop, we have so much to do, we will never be as powerful as Richard was if we don't start now."

"Do you hear yourself? You are the king now! How much more power could you possibly want? This is not about beating Richard. You got what you wanted, you are finally the most powerful werewolf in the world. Don't let it spiral out of control."

Epiales stared at her, his eyebrows furrowed, "of course this is about power, what else would it be about? My entire life has been about power."

"This is about being a good ruler for these people, your people," Amora huffed.

Epiales laughed at her, throwing his arms in the air as he scoffed.

"You don't care about these people, you don't care about this kingdom," Amora breathed heavily, glaring up at him.

He hummed, not denying her accusations.

"It's all about power with you, you are the most powerful person alive right now, yet that is not enough for you."

"No, it isn't enough Amora. Don't you see? This power protects you, it protects my pack, my people!"

"You are a King! These are your people now."

"And I am doing right by them, don't you see?" He smirked, motioning to the window, "look outside, all those market stalls, all those children running around, they are happy, they don't care that I am using this kingdom for power."

"But they should. You should care about them."

"As much as you do?"

Amora stared at him, her bright eyes wide in surprise, she'd never considered herself a queen, but she was. She was the queen of all these people.

"Yes, as much as I do."

"So, what should I do? Step down, give you the throne completely to show I 'truly' care about these people?"

"If you would willingly step down for the better of these people, you would not have to step down at all," Amora snapped.

"That's the beautiful irony of it."