XXII

[3 months later]

Amora sighed as she placed her basket down on the table. The rain was quiet and peaceful, pattering against the small window.

Every day her chest seemed to ache more the further she got away from him. Each day became harder to deal with, but the fact they had not marked one another made it possible.

Most nights Amora slept in the woods, in the form of her wolf. On occasion, she came across an abandoned shelter to stay in for a few nights before she had to move on again to get out of England. Three months later, she had decided to settle deep in the woods in Scotland in an abandoned cottage.

"This is disgusting," she groaned as she dropped the bloody animal on the clothed table, she could still taste the metallic blood in her mouth from when her wolf killed the rabbit.

"Nope, I can't do it, I'll just have to eat it in wolf form," she coughed, going outside to place the rabbit on the grass before shifting.

Epiales had tried reaching out to her many times over the months and Amora had tried to ignore him, but she craved him, even just hearing about him from other people soothed the ache in her heart.

The first few days after Amora had left, Epiales searched all over England for her, he went to every pack, every town, he even searched in the human areas. The first week after she had left, Epiales became so desperate he sent out a letter for her to every citizen in England, begging for her return, hoping she would somehow get it. Now, for the past month he had been sending guards all over the country, and nearby countries, repeating his message, telling people to spread the word of his lost mate, hoping she would hear it.

Amora struggled to survive, having been kept inside most of her life in Lincoln's pack, she never learned any basic survival skills that every other wolf learned, so she relied on the natural instincts of her wolf to keep her alive. She had barely any contact with anyone the entire time she was out in the forest, but now she had settled, she planned to travel to the nearby village, with only a few coins in her pocket she had kept to make one purchase

On her table was the letter Epiales had sent out to everyone, for her. She tried to not read it every day, but she failed most of the time. It was so beautifully written and sorrowful that Amora found herself living in a fantasy where they were young teenagers in love, writing each other love letters, where they were not Alpha or Luna nor King or Queen. They were just simply kids. First loves. Soulmates. Nothing more than innocent lovers.

Amora was becoming dangerously involved in her fantasy, allowing it to replace all rational thoughts in her head.

"Maybe he has changed," Amora whispered to herself, shifting back from her wolf.

'I- I can't, I told you, no relationship will happen between us.'

'You will save yourself a lot of heartbreak if you get rid of that fantasy about mates of yours out of your head.'

"Okay fine, maybe he has not." Amora rolled her eyes at the memories forcing their way in.

_______________________________________

The next morning Amora quickly tied up the makeshift dress that she fashioned out of her old gown and headed in the direction of the nearest village.

The walk seemed never-ending, but eventually, she reached a small village with a busy market. She told herself to buy something important, something she needed as she would not have the opportunity to buy anything else, but as she walked towards the stands filled with fresh foods, a small shining object caught her eye. A hairbrush. So alike to the one that her first Alpha gave her. The one she had left at Epiales' pack.

She glanced back at the food before walking up to the lady selling the hairbrush.

"Five shillings," the old lady smiled at her.

Amora bit her lip, staring down at the coins in her hand, "I'm sorry, I only have four."

The old lady frowned, thinking for a moment.

"I suppose that would be alright dear, just this once."

Amora's face lit up and she handed over her coins, "thank you! Oh, thank you!"

The woman grinned at her, "you're welcome dear."

Amora held the brush close to her as she smiled.

"Did you hear what the king announced yesterday?" A young girl whispered excitedly to her friend.

Amora stilled, not daring to turn around and draw attention to herself.

"What is it?" The other girl asked.

"His search for the queen is expanding to Scotland and Ireland! He said she isn't in England at all!"

The young girl squealed, "maybe he will come here and I can meet him!"

Amora cursed under her breath, politely turning away from the market stall and heading back to the woods.

_______________________________________

"Where else could she be? Goddamit!" Epiales shouted, slamming his hands on the desk as his guards showed up empty-handed for the third month in a row.

"Your highness...perhaps we should expand our search to Scotland and Ireland," one of the guards gulped as Epiales seethed.

Epiales sighed, his chest aching as he thought about her, "yes, expand the search, I need her with me."

The guards nodded before marching out, leaving Epiales leaning on the table, staring out of his window.

She was everything he ever wanted. Before his father tainted his mind, he dreamt of a girl as perfect as her. Now she was gone. He had searched the entire country for her. She had fled England just to get away from him and the thought sent shooting pains through his heart.

He heard the sound of the door creaking open quietly.

Epiales turned around, facing the young woman in front of him.

"Where could she be, Katana?" He questioned, begging for an answer.

Katana shook her head at him, sighing deeply, "you may be physically powerful, your highness, but you are nothing without her." She leaned on the doorway, staring forward.

Epiales looked away from her, so Katana took a step closer.

"That is what makes you weak, you are convinced there is something more powerful than the mate bond. Than love. You let her get away and now you know what it truly feels like to be weak."

"I need her," Epiales grumbled.

"She needed you, and you let her down."

He turned to face the window again and Katana pushed further.

"She had to beg you to love her, you tortured her, I am thankful she finally got out of your manipulative and vindictive grasp. You are-"

"Get out!" Epiales roared, throwing the nearest object towards Katana, narrowly missing her.

"I will find her," he muttered to himself.