Seventeen

No one sees me. I fade away. Lost inside a memory of someone's life.

Luke was on his phone when I walked out, speaking to someone. When he saw me, he quickly hung up the phone and put it in his pocket.

I sat down beside him and sighed. "I don't know how long I want to stay here."

"Did things not go as planned?"

"She doesn't need me here. I know it's probably her way of checking off her bucket list or something but... I don't need to be here when she already has a family."

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and squeezed one. "How are you taking all of this?"

I shrugged. I felt better knowing he cared. But it was only one person and that made me sad. "I just want things to be normal. I'm tired of figuring out who my family is and my life, you know? There's so much uncertainty."

He was quiet and I knew he was waiting on me to make up my mind. It felt like it was already made and I was just confirming it all.

"Can we go home?"

---

I never got to meet my half brother, Matthew. I didn't get to know my twin and figure out what similarities we had. And it didn't even bother me. He didn't seem to want me around and didn't even care that we were twins. I wasn't sure if he knew that Luke was his father but that wasn't any of my business. I wasn't going to be mean and tell him if he thought, all this time, that Jude was his real dad.

Luke didn't like being stuck in the waiting room. He spoke with Kelly for a few minutes, explaining everything. I didn't know if she'd be mad or upset with me. I didn't want her to be. But I had a feeling she'd understand.

The doctors and nurses that walked by didn't spare me much more than a glance. They were too busy taking care of others and doing their jobs to notice me. And I realized that was what was wrong with Kelly and I. She had a family and things going on in her life. Seeing me and getting to know me was her last step and it wasn't even an important one. If she hadn't known about me, would she have even wanted to see me?

Luke stepped out of the room and shut the door behind him. He nodded at Jude who waited down the hall, just out of view from where I was seated. I didn't care because he wasn't important to me. He wasn't my dad.

Luke pulled out his phone and dialed a number. "You all ready to go?"

I nodded and stood. I followed him to the elevators and waited for one to appear.

"We're on our way. Are all of our bags packed and ready to go? Great. Thanks."

I wrapped my arms around myself and leaned against the back wall of the elevator. Neither of us said a word as the elevator went down several steps and to the entrance we had came in.

The driver opened our doors and we headed off for the airport, leaving behind the hospital and rain and memories I didn't care to remember.