Chapter 27 - Acting More Sinister

Chapter 27

Acting More Sinister

Mark POV:

I stand there motionless, my alters all standing behind me. Wilford puts his hand on my shoulder gently as we hear her scream. My body wants to cave in at the sound, and all of the others cringe at the shrill noise echoing through the castle.

We stand together in silence for a few minutes. The screaming has stopped, and I wipe a tear from my eye as I turn back around to the others. Wilford looks at me, a worried expression plastered across his face. "We have to help her. Now," I snap in a whisper, eyeing Jim who has now connected himself to the tablet, which I presume is a security camera system. "Jim looks distracted, this is our chance."

My alters nod, moving closer into a tight circle so we can discuss a plan. We all mutter different plans and go over them, crossing them off of the imaginary list as we go. The if's, and's, and but's of it all slowly starts to eat away at my optimism. I look around at each of my egos before landing on the Host. A small spark ignites in me as Host moves his head in my direction. The others turn to look at him, and he frowns, shaking his head.

"I already tried reading into the future, Mark. It is too uncertain, so I can't gather any information or give any added hope. I'm sorry," He explains. I sigh heavily, the others doing the same before King pops his head up.

"Let me try something," he mutters, stepping away and taking a deep breath. We all watch on as he transforms into a squirrel before scurrying over to the iron bars. Everyone including myself watch on in silence as he attempts to squeeze himself through the bars multiple times before giving up and transforming back into a human.

"Can't you be any smaller? Like a bug or something?" Host asks. King rolls his eyes, shaking his head.

"I'm an ANIMAL shapeshifter, dumbass. Not an insect shapeshifter." 

As King rejoins our group, we begin to discuss more options. After about five minutes, Wilford quietly groans: "Times like this are when we need one of us to be an escape artist."

I freeze, and all of the other alters do the same, looking from me then back to Wilford. Punk slaps a hand on his face and stands up straight, letting out a groan. He removes his hand from his face, pointing at Wilford and snaps in a whisper: "You ARE an escape artist! Stop pussy footin' around and get us out of here!"

"Oh. Right. I forgot about that," Wilford exclaimed, "But I can't help us if I don't have something to pick the lo-"

Host waves him off, placing his hand into his coat and fishing around his pocket before pulling out a bobby pin and handing it to Wilford. As Wilford begins to pick the lock, I place my hand on his shoulder and turn him back to the group. "We need to do something about Jim. Tie him up or something until we can put him back into my body."

Wilford nods, motioning to the King. They communicate without words as King turns himself into a snake, waiting for the doors to open. We stand in silence as Wilford continues to pick the lock, and finally, we hear the quiet 'click'. On a silent count to three, Wilford slams the door open, and we take action.

All my alters and myself surround the unsuspecting Jim. We watch and King wraps his snake body around Jim's legs, causing him to fall backward and knock his head off of the floor. He lays there motionless for a few moments before Punk nudges Jim in the ribs, causing him to slowly come to. His face is shriveled in annoyance as he sits up and rubs the back of his head.

"What the fuck was that for?" Jim hisses. For a moment we are all taken by surprise. Jim notices our confused expressions before letting out a heavy sigh and begins to further explain. "Somehow Anti is able to mind control us. I'm not sure how, but it only happened to a few of us. I swear I'm not a traitor. I would never do that. I don't know about Dark though."