Chapter 1

-Ian's POV-
I woke up to the feeling of Barley shaking me into consciousness. I pried my eyes open to see him looming over me, blocking out the morning sun seeping in through the window. I squinted and sat up on my bed. "Hey Ian! It's about time you woke up. You have been called upon for a quest to the perilous lands of school!" Barley exclaimed in a dramatic voice. I groaned and tried to throw the blanket back over my head. "Journey awaits young mage! Up, up!" he pressed, prodding gently. I reluctantly swung my legs over the edge of bed and stood up, sleep-lolled. Barley practically pranced out of the room, leaving me to get ready. I walked to my polished mahogany desk and picked up a photo of Dad. I weakly smiled and whispered to myself: "good morning, dad,"
I set down the picture and went to the bathroom to freshen up. After I was done, I walked downstairs and practically the minute my foot hit the floor, our pet dragon, Blazey charged into my chest, successfully knocking me over. "Down Blazey boy, down!," I laughed, playfully pushing him off me. He settled the score with a final lick to my face and scuttled away. I sat up, dusting my jeans and opening the cabinet to get myself some cereal. When I swung open the refrigerator to retrieve the milk, I noticed a Quests of Yore warrior piece sitting there. I tipped a grin and grabbed it. That exact moment, I burst into a unexplainable fit of rattling coughs. Pain shot up my chest and throat, and it felt like someone tied my lungs together. I bent over and wheezed, dropping the figurine, my vision becoming blurry. When Barley entered the room, he dropped his viking helmet and came rushing toward me. I stiffened. I can't let Barley worry. " Ian! Are you okay?" He attempted to check my temperature, but I dodged out of the way. "I'm fine, Barley," I assured him in a conclusive voice. "I'm just a little sick, thats all." Barley didn't seem very convinced, but he let me go. "Off to school for you, little buddy!," he guffawed. "Besides, you're already running late." I shook my head and tried to ignore the smarting in my chest. "Bye then, Barley." I said and nervously walked out the door. He waved at me from the window, but to spare myself the embarrasment, I kept my head down and walked as fast as I could to reach school. When I reached the school entry, I looked up at the grinning dragon mascot. I was already looking forward to going home.

Word Count: 444