Chapter Two: Unwanted

No sooner than the recessbell rang, did a swarm of children push and shove their way onto the playground.

Only seven year old Lila went out slowly, staying at the very back of the crowd. Ever since two years ago, when her father left, she had become introverted. She was unusually silent for her age, and her only friend was Charley. But even with him she was distant. All the other children started organizing a game to play, but Lila hung back at the edge of the grass, watching them.

"You should play withthem," Lila's teacher, Mrs. Carmen suggested. "I'm sure they'd be happy to have you." Lila looked down at the ground and Mrs. Carmen gently pushed her in the direction of the other children. "Go and play."

Lila sighed and slowly walked over to the group. "Could I play with you?" All of the kids jerked their heads up, startled. Most of them had never heard her voice before. She usually only spoke when absolutely necessary.

"Uh, sure," A boy around the age of eight said. "We're going to play dodgeball. Emily and Billy are going to be team captains." He pointed at a beautiful blonde girl and a sturdy boy, who looked like he was good at sports. Lila nodded and went to stand with all the unpicked children. Over the course of the next three minutes Emily and Billy picked all of the kids except for Lila and one other nervous looking boy with glasses. It was Emily's turn to pick, and after that the game would start. Whoever was not chosen would just have to sit onthe side-lines and watch the other kids play.

"Hmm..." Emily narrowed her eyes, which were flicking in between the two of them. After a moment's hesitation she pointed at the scrawny, anxious boy. "You."

Lila watched as all the other kids ran onto the field and began to play. She looked down at the ground and pushed a small pebble around with her foot. Shehadn't expected them to pick her, the class recluse, but it still hurt nonetheless. She felt a hand rest comfortingly on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Lila." Mrs. Carmen said soothingly. "Maybe next time." Lila nodded and strolled over to a patch of grass in the shade where she could sit undisturbed until the next class.

Lila slowly walked up the steps to her house and went through the front door. She found her mother sitting puffy-eyed in the kitchen. "Mom?" She ventured, afraid her mother might break apart at the slightest touch..

"Huh?" Her mother glanced over at her, previously unaware that Lila was standing nextto her. "Oh, it's you, Lila. Can you go play outside? I'm a little busy."

"Okay." Lila pivoted on her heel and went back through the door to sit on the steps with her head in her hands. She stared down at her feet where a snail was slowly making it's way to her. "You've got it easy, snail. You don't have to worry about family or friends."

As if on cue she heard a familiar laugh and looked up to see her friend Charley on the other side of the street, playing with someone she had never met before. She watched them for another minute before crossing the road. Neither of them noticed her as she approached. "Hi." She stoodtwo feet away from them with her hands in her pockets.

Charley smiled and waved at her. "Hi, Lila." He pointed the other boy who had dark brown skin and curly black hair. "This is Xavier." Xavier waved.

"Can I play with you?" Lila asked.

"Oh, well..." Charley averted his gaze sheepishly. "This is a two person game...And we're kind of in the middle of it..."

"Oh, okay. I'm sorryfor bothering you." Lila understood. He wanted to play with his new, more fun friend. She couldn't really argue with that. Shepushed her clenched fists deeper into her pockets as Charley and Xavier ran off, continuing their game. Their laughter only barely registered in the back of her mind as she went back to sit on her steps once again. She was all alone.

That's when she learned she was unwanted.