Chapter 40: Gumption II

Along the way, it was dead silence. None of them uttered anything, yet they enjoyed each other company. Seul was the first one who broke the silence that caught him off guard "So, what are you doing here with me instead of spending it with your family...or girlfriend?" she purposely emphasised the last word with a soft cough.

"There is no girlfriend" Seul bit her lower lips trying to surpass her obvious grin. She heard him continue "And my family is in Busan, but I will be celebrating with my friends who just like my brothers today. Don't worry I have informed them that I will be late, they don't mind" his soft voice soothed her heart.

"I just wanted to start my new year differently this year. And, I choose to spend it with you" for the umpteenth time, it shook the deepest core of her heart. Why's he doing this to her?

Seul was touched by his kind words, never in her life she felt so important as now "You are flattering me Mr JK" she chuckled away her nervousness afraid that he might catch her jumbling with her own words.

"I am not flattering you. It is the truth" he shoved his hand inside his pocket, gathering his thought. The part of wanting to start the new year differently was the truth though, he wanted to get out from his comfort zone. Glancing at his watch, Jungkook murmured "So, ten minutes till 12, lets get an ice cream" he suggested.

She flinched "Are you crazy? It is freezing, and you want to eat ice cream at this time, seriously? It will only pain your body" Jungkook chuckled at her cuteness. He watched how her lips was curved upwards into a pout, it never failed to amuse him.

"I am craving for one, and we can share the ice cream. Let's just get one" before Seul could even protest, Jungkook made his way inside the convenience store purchasing an ice cream just like he mentioned earlier. He ignored the odd look that he received from the cashier as he quickly returned to Seul excitedly.

"I got us one"

"You are weird"

"Do you mind if we share ice cream?" Jungkook eyes sparkled innocently under the moonlight. Was he hinting her about the indirect kiss? But that was only in a drama, the indirect kiss was exaggerated in the dramas anyway. It shouldn't be a big deal.

A soft giggle escaped from her cold lips "We are not in a freaking drama Mr JK, so don't get ahead of yourself. I don't mind sharing it with you, plus I don't think I can finish one in this weather" she shot him a playful glare.

"Agree!" he winked. With that, he unwrapped the ice cream and held it close to Seul's mouth "You eat first" Seul took a soft bite. Both of them started walking again, following the trail of snow on the street.

"This is my place" Seul made an abrupt stop facing Jungkook. He scanned the old building, tilting his head in disappointment since he still wanted to spend more time with Seul. It ended too quickly.

"That was quick that I expected" his voice showed a hint of sadness and disappointment.

Seul nodded "It is two minutes' walk from the convenience store, I forgot to mention that. Anyways, you should head back. Your brothers are waiting for your arrival" Jungkook did not budge but instead he fed the girl with the remaining ice cream causing her to shudder due to the coldness.

"YAH!" Seul jabbed his arm as he dodged skilfully accompanied with a playful chuckle that broke the eerie silence of this empty street.

"Four minutes till 12, I will head back after that" Seul gave him an amused look, up until now she wondered to what extent this guy in front of her would surprise her with his randomness.

The time is ticking so did Jungkook fear of wanting to end this little mind game he had, no more turning back. He unzipped his jacket, pulling out his sketch book "I.. did it..." he mumbled. Their eyes met did not know how to react in this situation, was it just her but she felt extremely sad over the fact that he was done with his task. This means, she will no longer be able to see him as frequent as before.

His job was done here.

She must live up with the fact that people will eventually leave when the times come.

Jungkook sensed her expression darken, so it worries him a little just in case she did not like the drawing. Seul took the sketch book, flipping through the pages one by one. Her heart sunk as it reached the last page. The drawings of her and him, talking happily at the corner of the café while enjoying their drinks.

Her eyes were sting with tears, but she refused to let it go. She did not want to overreact in front of him, they became close over a month, so it did not make her any special in his heart. For an odd reason, Seul felt very affected of this as if she got dumped by a guy.

"Seul-ssi...are you alright? You don't like it? I am sorry, I will do better next time. I also think it looks bad never mind, let me draw it again. Let's forget about this" Jungkook rubbed the back of his neck trying to get a look of Seul who had her head hung low.

Blinking her tears away, Seul shook her head "No, I love it. It takes my breath away. Your drawing. As expected from you Mr JK. That was fast, did not expect you to finish it within a month" she swallowed the heavy lump on her throat, mustering her courage to meet Jungkook's worried eyes.

"Thank god..you scared me. I..was shocked of myself too. I got carried away, and I guess the result came out earlier than I expected" he studies Seul's solemn expression. Something was bothering her indeed, but he did not know if it was appropriate to ask.

"I think your job is done, you finally complete your goals. Guess, it would be hard to see you around after this Mr JK" she joked. Even though she tried to sound cheerful, but little did she know her voice sounded broken.

The things that came out from Seul finally answered the questions that he had just now. Jungkook realized his assumption was right all along though he thought it sounded absurd at first. What more to confirm this? He heard it from Seul personally, it would not be a lie.