So Close

Jeremy had invited himself over to my house for the weekend, and I was a train wreck. I'd been avoiding sleepovers with Jeremy as much as I could, but there was no way to get out of this one. I had already told him I wasn't doing anything. I would just have to avoid thinking about Jeremy in any romantic way the whole time. And that... would be hard. I sat on the couch watching Friends, patiently waiting for him to arrive.

Ding dong

I scrambled to the door and flinged it open.

"Michael!" Jeremy exclaimed, standing on my porch, about to hug me. He quickly jerked back though.

"Uh, Michael? You're not wearing pants..." he said quietly, avoiding looking down.

I blushed and quickly ran upstairs to fetch some sweatpants. How could I forget pants in front of him? I frantically put them on as I stumbled back downstairs. Jeremy had let himself in and was sitting on the couch watching the show I left on.

"Sorry about that," I said as I sat next to him.

"No worries. It's not like I haven't seen you like that before," Jeremy giggled.

   I could hear the gay gods laughing up above at me.

   We eventually found ourselves in my basement, as usual, playing Apocalypse of the Damned. We sat in two bean bag chairs, staring at the glowing screen. I tried to focus on the game, but I kept looking at Jeremy. He had the cutest expression on his face. His eyes were squint and he had his tongue half-way out. I laid my head on my hand, forgetting the game completely, staring at him.

Jeremy raised his arms up in defeat. "Ugh, we're never gonna beat this level..." he muttered.

   I quickly looked back to the screen. It read game over.

"Uh, Michael? What were you doing? While I was fighting off zombies, you were just staring at a wall!" Jeremy exclaimed.

"Oh, uh-I, well..." I stammered.

Jeremy reached over for a slice of pizza out of the box laying near on the floor. It was quiet for a minute. I hated the silence.

"Hey Micha?" Jeremy finally said, his mouth full of the slice he put in his mouth.

I turned to face him. "Yeah?"

Jeremy stared at the floor. "Do you ever feel... stuck?" he asked slowly.

I raised an eyebrow. "Huh?"

"Like life isn't going the way you wanted it to. You keep trying so hard to make everything the way it's supposed to be, but something.... is stopping you." Jeremy said quietly.

   He was clearly upset. I didn't like it.

"Something? What's the "something"?" I questioned.

Jeremy sighed. "I dunno. Your own emotions? Your feelings?"

   I didn't know what it was in Jeremy's case, but I could relate. I kept trying to ignore my crush on Jeremy. To make it like the days he was just a best friend to me. But I couldn't help my feelings. And I guess I was feeling stuck...

"Jeremy what's wrong?" I asked, leaning closer to him.

Jeremy leaned closer as well. "I-I don't know... I guess I have something I've been needing to tell you for a while..."

   I blushed. I could just imagine him saying the words I wanted to hear. Michael, I love you~

   Jeremy leaned even closer to me, our lips almost touching. I don't know if I couldn't handle the tension much longer.