01 - once upon a trigger

Ivory hands tap against the wheel in time with Taylor Swift's Red that blasts through his Toyota Corolla's stereo speakers

Ivory hands tap against the wheel in time with Taylor Swift's Red that blasts through his Toyota Corolla's stereo speakers. Langston Murphy's attention is currently focused fifty percent on the road, twenty percent on the radio and the remaining thirty on how uncomfortable the tie felt around his neck.

The feeling was too restricting for his liking, he'd rather just go in a dress shirt and blazer but his mother passionately disagreed with his suggestion.

Linda Tate was never one to keep a steady job due to her unpredictable aggression.

So, when she had the money to spend on her son for a nice suit the year before, she would insist that he wore it every chance he got. He remembered the both of them having a themed dinner party between them and their dog, Ryan.

However, that was last year and surprisingly, he managed to grow two inches and bulk up over the previous summer. His once too big suit has become a little tight across the shoulders where if he moves too quick, he's certain he'll split the material and his pants were rolled up to avoid being trodden on.

The topic of money had always made the mother and son uncomfortable for different reasons. Linda was afraid her son felt left out as he watched his friends' financially carefree lifestyles. Whereas Murphy was ashamed of his lack of contribution to the household's finances.

From a young age Murphy had despised himself for placing further stress and embarrassment upon his mother. He was never a greedy child, so when he couldn't get the new video game his friends were bragging about - he didn't throw a fuss. Murphy was happy with a roof over his head, food on the table and the limited hot water.

When the electricity went out, Linda and Murphy would set up a fort and tell ghost stories over a bowl of stove cooked sweet and sour popcorn. The mother and son duo had become experts in turning dark situations into lively ones.

With that thought in mind, Murphy pulled into the Forbes' driveway and retrieved his phone from the glove compartment. Sending a quick text to Caroline announcing his arrival, he steps out of the car and shuts the door behind him softly.

Murphy stares up at the house in comprehension, wondering what his life had come to. He used to ride his bike to the Forbes' house and spend hours with Caroline, talking about anything and nothing all at once.

Growing up in a small town like Mystic Falls, Murphy's friend group had stuck to the same few people - Caroline Forbes, Bonnie Bennett, Matt Donovan, Elena Gilbert, Jeremy Gilbert and Tyler Lockwood. When he was approached by Caroline in preschool, he hadn't known he would be introduced to the world of supernatural when he accepted the friend request - none of the teenagers had.

The soft click of a latch opening catches Murphy's attention, his hazel eyes landing on Caroline's smiling figure as she exits the house.

Murphy smiles kindly at his closest friend. "You look stunning, Care."