2

Sometime after school had ended, Connor was walking to the kitchen to get something to eat when he heard Zoe and Evan talking in Zoe's room.

"-o for it! You need to step out of your comfort zone!" his younger sister encouraged.

Evan promptly answered in a stubborn manner. "What's the point in having a comfort zone if you have to leave it?!"

The response almost caused Connor to laugh aloud, so he quickly took his leave. Honestly, he didn't even remember stopping. The teen was a few feet away from his sister's door when her voice made him stop again.

"Honestly, Ev. You really are hopeless," she sighs. Connor didn't understand the reply that followed, it was muffled. Meaning that Evan had either buried his face in his hands or face planted onto the bed. The thought made Connor's lips twitch upward as he walked down the stairs and made himself a sandwich.

Sandwich in one hand and phone in the other, Connor made his up the stairs. Due to his attention being on his phone, Connor didn't notice Evan until it was too late and the two crashed into one another. Evan tripped over the stair behind him and fell down, eyes wide and startled. Connor just barely managed to stop himself from tumbling backward down the stairs.

"Shit! I-I'm so s-sorry! I really d-didn't mean t-to crash into y-you! I didn't - I wasn't paying attention and I-I -" the poor boy looked on the verge of crying.

"Relax kid, it's fine. It was my fault anyway. I wasn't watching where I was going. Sorry about that," Connor cuts in before Evan could start to spiral. He wasn't usually this nice, but the other was already panicking.

"N-no, it was definitely my f-fault," Evan replies meekly as he hoists himself up using the railing.

"It really wasn't, but whatever. Why are you looking at me like that?" Connor asks. Evan was staring at the other with a contemplative look, his head tilted to side slightly.

Evan flushed red and shrunk back at Connor's words. "S-sorry. It's just odd to b-be taller than you."

Connor lets out an amused huff and pats Evan on the shoulder as he passes. "See you around, Hansen." When Connor reaches the top of the stairs, he turns to see Evan standing where he left him. Evan stands there for a moment before slowly walking down the stairs.

As he turns to go back to his room, he hardly registers Zoe's door shutting or the sound of her jumping on her bed.