3

The next time Connor sees Evan, outside of short glimpses of him in the hallway, is the following week when he dramatically enters the house. The front door flies open, causing Connor to jump and almost spill his glass of milk. Evan tossed his bag next to the shoe rack and face planted onto the couch.

Connor's eyes flicker from the staircase to the blond on his couch, wondering if he should say something or leave the shorter male to wallow. Luckily, Zoe walked down the stairs and saved Conor from having to make a decision.

"Oh, Evan," Zoe sighs. She walks around the couch and taps Evan's shoulder. The male sits up and allows Zoe to sit down before laying back down and putting his head in her lap. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"No." Was Evan's murmured reply. Zoe nods and runs her fingers through her friend's hair. Evan hums slightly and relaxes at the touch.

"Did you take your meds this morning?" Zoe asks.

"Forgot," Evan answers.

"Did you take them when you remembered?" Zoe takes Evan's silence as a no. "Connor?"

Connor jumps at the sound of his name. He still wasn't used to being acknowledged in a non-negative way by his little sister. But they were trying. "Yeah?"

"Could you get Evan's meds out of the front pocket of his backpack? And get hima glass of water?" Zoe asks, looking at him to the best of her ability without jostling Evan. Said boy made a noise of protest, which Zoe ignored.

Connor hums an affirmative and kneels down beside Evan's backpack and pulled out two prescription bottles. The sight of he bottles brought back memories so Connor quickly shoved them into Zoe's hand and busies himself making water. Connor hands the water to the blond and makes to walk away, but stops when he feels something pull at the hem of his hoodie. He turns back to see Evan drop his arm.

"Thank you." The words were quiet, and Evan looked anywhere but at him, but there was no stutter. So, Connor chalked that one up as a victory and nodded at the shorter boy.

"Sure thing, Hansen," he replies.

After that, Connor figures that it would be best to leave them. And if Connor lowered the volume of his music and paid close attention just in case his name was called, nobody needed to know.