Chapter Thirty-Three

Felix

Meleri and Magnus learned that Elspeth was gone and at least one of them started showing up during her usual shift, which was being covered by a different defender – one I didn't share the same unbreakable trust with. My siblings knew I was anxious about it, so they came over to comfort me, spend time with their nephew, and provide one more layer of protection.

No one was getting through to Griffin. We would protect him as long as we had to, but Marcus would never get his hands on my son.

My siblings' protectiveness had an added benefit: they never complained if Everett and I snuck out of the room for some alone time. Griffin wasn't happy about it, but Magnus got good at distracting him with the airplane game and Meleri was a block-stacking fiend. She could pile up a block tower almost as fast as Griffin could knock it down.

Everett and I were cuddled up naked in our bed. Magnus' airplane noises and Griffin's giggles could be heard from down the hall, but the door was locked between us and I was just happy to have a little time with my mate in my arms.

Everett nuzzled into my neck and I looked down at him. Our eyes met and I felt our bond brighten between us. It was strong now, stronger than I had ever imagined it could be. The more time we spent together, the more it grew and brightened. I was starting to be able to feel Everett more, and it was effortless. For instance, right now I could feel how badly he wanted me not just because of his hard length pressed against my thigh or the way his hands caressed and teased at my skin, starting with my chest and moving lower and lower until I was arching against him. I could feel his need most prominently through the bond, though, and it only intensified my own.

Human relationships had honeymoon periods and so did werewolf ones. The difference is that for humans, a honeymoon period is when you're so enamored with your partner that your relationship seems to glow and they can do no wrong in your eyes. For wolves, who already looked at their mates that way from the moment they connected, a honeymoon period was the period during which the bond grew. Usually, we would hole up in our home as much as possible so we could learn each other's bodies, minds, and souls. Everett and I had done things a little out of order, though. We had brought a child into our lives in a time of turmoil and we were left enjoying these stolen moments whenever we could.

I think it would have made sense for me to feel resentful of the situation we found ourselves in. I could have been angry about how little alone time I got with Everett when every part of me was desperate to have him closer. I loved our life together, though. I loved what Griffin had brought into our lives – the laughter and love, the knowledge that this was a commitment my mate and I had made together.

Together, Everett and I would help shape Griffin into the man he would become. He would be influenced by both of us and by the relationship that was still growing between us. Griffin would learn about mate bonds primarily from watching the one between us. He was the greatest thing we could do with our lives, our legacy. It was a huge responsibility, one I would never take lightly, but one I was excited to share with Everett.

A warm, wet heat closed around my shaft and I jerked in surprise. I could hear Everett's laughter in my mind and glanced down to see his eyes twinkling up at me.

"You were distracted," he said into my mind as he sucked on me. "You should be thinking about me – about what I'll do to you and what I might let you do to me."

My eyes rolled back and my hips jerked up before I could stop them. Everett didn't complain. Instead, he swirled his tongue around me while I fought to regain control of my body. I gripped his shoulders, maybe a little too hard. I could feel my nails pressing into his skin, but when Everett bobbed and sucked harder, I gripped him tighter and he moaned around me.