Chapter Sixteen

Felix

We didn't speak on the way back, and that was okay. Everett's scent on the blankets in my guest bedroom had been overtaken by my own a week ago and I'd been experiencing a kind of withdrawal ever since. Everett's car was saturated with his scent, overwhelming me. I wasn't sure I would have been capable of intelligent conversation even if Everett wanted one.

I parked Everett's car in my – our – driveway and turned to him, the anxiety I had been fighting back all morning finally taking hold of me. Our agreement was that we were friends. Sometimes Everett kissed me, which was amazing, but it wasn't part of the deal and if he wanted a kissing relationship with me now, wouldn't he have laid on one me already? He missed me enough to move in, but not enough to fully accept me. I was trying hard to be okay with that, since I was already being offered more than I thought I would have for a long time, but the hard truth was that this still wasn't enough for me.

I couldn't bring up that conversation, not yet. I had to go back to work and Everett wasn't even settled in. But when we went inside, I didn't want to have to watch him moving into my guest room across the hall. Even if all we did was hold each other, I wanted him in my room at night, in my bed.

I got out of the car and unlocked the front door before doubling back to help Everett with his bags. By the time I reached him, he already had them all slung across his lean torso. I settled for holding the door open, instead.

Everett headed for the hallway and my feet remained rooted in the entryway. I wanted so badly to be near him, but I couldn't make myself follow.

Everett came back not even a minute later and found me still standing in the doorway, the door propped open by my hip. "You okay?" he asked.

I forced a smile and finally entered the house. "Of course. But I should probably head back to work. I don't want to make Elspeth cover my class for too long."

Everett's expression fell and I wanted to take it back, but it would hurt less to have him stay with me but apart from me if I didn't have to watch it in progress. If I came home and he was already set up in the guest room, I thought I could handle it. For now. "I understand," Everett said. He walked toward me and paused an arms-length away. "What's the protocol for getting in and out of pack lands?" he asked.

"Do you have to leave today? I need to get you registered – they'll have your photo on file along with the color, make, model, and license plate of your car. We can take care of that after I get off work or tomorrow."

"It's fine. I was thinking about getting to know the area better, but it might be better to wait until you can come as a guide."

"Well, if you don't mind waiting, I'll be happy to show you around," I said. "You have a lot of pack lands left to see, too."

Everett's expression shifted, anxiety creeping back in as it did every time his transfer came up. I stepped forward, halving the distance left between us, and wondered where the boundaries were now. Hugging was allowed, I knew that much. I took Everett's hand in mine and squeezed it reassuringly. "I really think you're going to like it here," I said, "and if you don't, this doesn't have to be permanent."

His lips quirked upward. "Thank you. When should I expect you back?"

I fully intended to dismiss my students a little early today. I glanced at the time on my phone. It was just after noon. My students were given a lunch break at 11:30 and Elspeth would just be starting lessons again. I'd missed barely any class time. "I'll be home a little after three," I decided. "Will you be okay until then?"

"I'll be fine." We stood awkwardly – me because I didn't know how to part from him (hugging? Or could I get away with a peck on the cheek?). I wasn't sure why Everett was so uncomfortable, but I thought maybe it was for the same reason.