Nowhere to Run

As Shadow and Ava begin their quest, Team Sonic passes through Mystic Jungle. Before they can leave, someone finds them....

"Man, this place is lit at night."

"It sure is," Tails agrees. "We should get going, though."

"Something wrong, buddy?"

"Yeah," Tails lowers his voice. "Remember, we're supposed to be looking for that Chaos Emerald."

"You worry too much, Tails. Besides, Knuckles is enjoying himself."

Tails looks over at the echidna, who is playing a card game with a few other casino patrons. After a few moments, the players place down their cards, and Knuckles yells triumphantly.

"I never knew ol' Knucklehead was good at card games," Sonic comments.

"Hey Tails, Sonic!" Knuckles calls. "C'mon! I got the weed!"

Sonic raises an eyebrow. "You got the what now?"

Knuckles doesn't say anything else until the trio is outside. "Okay, so I didn't actually get any weed. But I did get this."

Knuckles takes out a glowing yellow gem.

Tails gasps. "It's a Chaos Emerald!"

"Perfect, now we can go give it back to Rouge," Sonic says.

Tails shakes his head. "But that's not the one she had. She said she had the purple one."

"So? It's still a Chaos Emerald."

"I don't know, man," Knuckles says slowly. "We should probably hold onto this. Besides the person, I won this from seemed kind of sketchy. Wouldn't want this falling into the wrong hands."

"Yeah, and we can use this one to find the others," Tails nods.

"Well, then what are we waiting for?" Sonic hops onto the path. "You're good at sensing the emeralds, right Knuckles?"

"Eh, I guess. It's not quite the same as the Master Emerald, though."

"Good enough for me. Race you to the next city!"

Sonic starts off at a jog to warm-up, but before he can pick up speed, something bursts out of the bushes, grabbing him. "Ahhh!"

"Ha, I knew you'd be here!" A feminine voice says.

"Amy?!"

"Amy, what are you doing here?" Tails says as he and Knuckles catch up.

"Oh, you know, just passing through." She notices the glow of the yellow emerald coming from Knuckles' knapsack. "What's that you got there?"

"Nothing," Sonic says quickly.

"Well, anyway, I was just thinking maybe you'd like to go for a walk with me. It's a beautiful night." Amy winks.

Sonic grimaces. "Look, Amy, I...I can't, okay?"

"Why not? This wouldn't have anything to do with that glowy thing you have, would it?"

"Um, well, you see..."

"Ha! So it is important!"

"Just because it's important doesn't mean I'm going to tell you." Sonic looks at Tails pleadingly.

"We're in a hurry, Amy," the fox puts in. "This isn't a good time."

Amy shrugs. "Okay, I guess I'll come with you then. That way, we can still walk together, and you can tell me all about that glowing thing."

Sonic groans inwardly, but forces a smile. "Well, as they say, the more the merrier."

Gameplay level: Hero Story: Stage 2: Jungle Ruins (Sonic)