Part 4

PART II: Orion

Chapter 12

I get out of bed shuffling my feet to the bathroom. Instinctively, I motion to brush my teeth first, then hop in the shower. I pump some shampoo into my hand and it barely squirts any. I knew I forgot something.

"Hee, hee, hee, hee," a giggle came from nowhere.

"Julia? Are you up?" I call from the bathroom.

The laughter became more potent, so I left the bathroom and back to the bedroom. There she was, still sound asleep.

Strange. I must be hearing things.

I finish freshening up, got into my uniform for work.

"Sweet dreams, Julie," I say before kissing her forehead and heading out to work.

I work at a local restaurant called, "Catch 35" for about 2 months now. That's where I met my fiancé, Julia. Some days are rough, but the $150 tips every night shift helps. One day I'll move up in the company and become the Head Chef. I just got to stick it out for now, go to culinary school, and buy a nice place that Julie deserves.

The voice hums and I ignore it on my way to my car. I work the morning shifts this time, so it's still dark out. Sometimes I miss the sun, but I don't miss the traffic. I get in and start driving before I'm late.

"You're going to die today," the voice says nonchalantly.

I turn to my side and there stood a dark figure. It had a slender figure with flesh as white as the clouds. I gasp and stare, till I realize I'm starting to swerve and had my eyes back on the road.

"What do you want?" I ask firmly.

The thing laughs once more. It laughs an annoying laughter like it was part hyena.

"You're going to lie today, boy," the thing repeats.

I turn into the customer parking area. "I don't have time for practical jokes, so get out of my car kid."

"Call me the Reaper, your friend Nathan does."

"Nathan? Didn't think he was such a prankster. Look, there is a bus stop over there, take the 42 and you'll be back in the neighborhood or call someone to pick you up. Just get out of my car," I state solidly.

"Ha, ha, ha, boy. I knew you would be more fun than the other one. At least you actually have some spunk."

I get out of the car, grab my things, and walk over to the passenger side.

"I'm done entertaining," I exclaim as I open the door and try to grab the guy by the arm. My hand went straight through it.

What then?

"I'm not one of you. Like I said, people call me the Reaper and you will die today."

With that, the Reaper disappears. Message received.

Chapter 13

A few hours later, and my shift was over. I reek of fish and chips. By the time the clock hit exactly 11:45 am, I was already out the door and pocket my $38 in cash tips. Today started off rocky, but it's probably because I was still tired, I rationalize. Today is my birthday, so I can't be late, at least not to my own home.

I got in the car as usual, nothing out of the blue so far.

Is this how you choose to live your final moments? What a pity.