Part 8

Part VI: Michael

Chapter 20

"Hey, Care bear" was the first message I see when I woke up this morning. I text her back "Good morning, Beautiful". That girl is the only good thing in my life right now.

We started dating shortly after graduation. I was practicing guitar in the band room and she saw me there. I played a few songs and she sang beautifully. It was the most mesmerizing voice I've ever heard. I offered to give her a few lessons and she agreed. One day I set up a scavenger hunt. She asked what the reward was, and I told her it would be something she wants. When she found the pillows, snacks, and flashlight, I rewarded her with a kiss that was our first day watching the stars at night by the hill near school. I planned and set up the picnic and blankets while she was looking for everything to make it a romantic night. We are together since then.

"What are you up to?" she texts back quickly.

"Just thinking about you," I reply. "Would you like to meet for brunch."
"Brunch sounds great, love! See you soon ;)"

Adorable.

I groom myself every morning. I believe how you dress does affect the way you feel and I'm feeling like a million bucks today. Today I have on the blue-collar shirt that Rosie gave me, some slacks and black dress shoes. She likes it when I dress up, and you know what? I kind of like it too.

"Hello, family!" I call.

"Oh, you're looking dashing today," my mom comments.

"It's because he's seeing his girly friend," Mickey chimes.

Mickey is my little brother, he's only eight-years-old.

"Is that right?" mom smirks. "Have fun, honey."

She gives me a kiss on my cheeks, and I head out the door. The sun feels nice on my face, so I stay there a while.

The walls have a vibrant white and all the doors and windows are squeaky clean. I walk up to the front desk to let the worker know that I am here to see Rosalie. She smiles, then I walk towards the right-side. This is our usual spot, so I know where to go. Every time I visit, the smell gets me every time. It's not a bad smell, just a slight smell of soap because cleanliness is a priority here. I walk in and see her there, in bed.

"Hi Rosey," I say without dropping my gaze at her.

She doesn't have a hint of makeup on and still looks pretty. Her hair is somewhat frizzy, but I can tell she tried to comb it with her fingers. Even her eyes seem to smile at me.

"Hi Michael," she replies as she is getting up.

"So, what are we having today?" I ask.

She pushes her tray and it locks in front of her. "The nurse brought me some water, toast, banana, and apple sauce," she replies frowning. "This is a hospital my father pays good money for me to stay at, how can I eat all this garbage?"

"I know love, don't worry, I'll eat all the carbs for you, so you don't have to," I say slyly. "How are you feeling?"

"Much better. I think it was just food poisoning. Nothing serious. I should be out of this soon and back in my shabby chic room," she proudly says.

"You look lovely wherever you go," I compliment her.

I watch her eat her food while we chat. I do this each time because she never eats enough. Sometimes I get a bite of her plate, but no more than that. I do it when she complains about the Certified Nursing Assistant gives her a hard time when they see her barely eating while she's in recovery. She can eat without throwing up, just that she refuses to and demands to have scrabbled egg white omelet instead.

"I can get you some sparkling water," I offer.

"Yes, please. Anything to wash this down," she says.

I give her a kiss on the forehead, grab the plastic cup and walk towards the vending machine at the other end of the hospital. I know they don't have sparkling water, so I just refill it with some Canada Dry instead, drink the rest of the can, then throw it in the recycling bin.

Hi Romeo.

I turn around and stand face to face with the Reaper. Anger fills my eyes because he is just a constant reminder that Kyle died for no reason because of him. I continue to walk around him and back to Rosie's room.

You can't ignore me. I told you that you don't have much time to live.

I really don't want to hear it from him. How can I believe anything he says anyway? I just kept walking now realizing how far I had to go just to get a drink.

If you don't care about your life, then what about the girl?

I stop then before slowly turning. Don't hurt Rosie.

Oh, I seem to hit a nerve heh heh heh. I have a deal for you.

What do I have to do for you to leave Rosie alone for good?

If you kill one of your friends, then you save the girl. If you don't, then you die, and the next time the girl gets sick, let's just say she won't be so lucky heh heh heh. The choice is yours.

I clench my fists. I don't really have a choice. Rosie is the most important person in my life right now. How do I do it?

Aha! That's for you to decide. I look forward to seeing what you do now.

He left as quickly as he came.

I swallow hard, kept my chin up, and walk back into the room to be with Rosie as if nothing happened. I don't have a choice at all, there is only one option to make.