First Night

In a few short minutes we arrive at my new home. I've loved this house since Nick first bought it, and I know I'll be endlessly happy during my time here, so I can't keep the smile from forming on my face as Nick pulls into the garage and parks. Then, he turns to face me.

"We're gonna have your room be the guest room you always stay in when you're over. Cool?" he asks me, and I nod. It's perfect, actually.

I grab some boxes out of the trunk and head in the house, up the stairs and to the first bedroom on the right. I love this room; the window to the right of the bed, table on the left and desk across the room from the bed. As I'm admiring it, like I always do when I come over, Nick brings two more boxes up followed by Kevin with two more. I go down to grab some, and soon enough, we've got everything unloaded and on the floor in my new room.

"Hey, why don't you and Pri go work on your wedding details, and we'll get everything set up?" Joe suggests, and Nick nods, going downstairs to the kitchen.

The three of us get to work unpacking boxes and setting things up, putting clothes away, and making the room look more or less like mine at home did. The time goes by fast compared to when we were packing everything up, and in less than an hour we're done. Then, we go down to the kitchen to see how the happy couple is getting on with their wedding work.

"How's it going, guys?" I ask.

"Pretty well, actually. We've notified everyone we need to, we have all the outfits planned, and the only thing we have left to do is pick the meal," Nick says, turning the computer around so we can see everything.

"Priyanka, those dresses are gorgeous!" I say, starstruck at the pale pink bridesmaids dresses she has picked.

"Thank you! I was hoping you'd like them," she says with a smile.

"Bro, I can help you with the food choices. I know food pretty well," Joe grins, making us laugh for the billionth time today.

"I think they got it under control, dude," Kevin says.

"Damn," says Joe, looking jokingly dejected.

"Well, everything's unpacked, so I think I'm gonna get home to Danielle and the kids," Kevin says, taking his keys out of his pocket.

"Yeah, I gotta go too. Sophie's getting in tonight, and I'm supposed to pick her up from the airport," Joe says.

"Well, thanks for your help, guys. And thanks for coming over the other night," I say, and they wave as they walk out the garage door. I close the door after them and head back up to my room so Pri and Nick can finish what they're doing.

Shutting the door, I pull one last box out that I kept from everyone earlier. It only contains one thing; my favorite picture of Nick and I when we were little. I don't think even Nick knows I have it, and it wasn't something I wanted to take out in front of everybody. This picture is too special to me to have everyone see it right away, so now, when I'm alone, is the perfect time to set it up. I look around the room and decide to place it on the table right next to the bed, in a place of honor. Then, I stand back and admire it as I hear a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I say, and Priyanka steps inside.

"Settling in okay?" she asks, and then she sees the picture. "Oh my gosh, that's adorable!"

"Believe it or not, I was four when that picture was taken and Nicky was fourteen

"Believe it or not, I was four when that picture was taken and Nicky was fourteen. I was all dressed up, so I looked older, and I had to stand on a box because I was so short. So we almost look even," I say with a laugh.

"That's incredible," she says, as Nick walks in.

"What are we look-" he stops short when he sees the picture and beams. "Aww, look at us!"

"I know. This is my favorite picture of us ever," I tell him happily.

"You looked so much older than you actually were," he remarks.

"Yeah, but remember how much shorter I was than you?" I say, and he laughs.

"You still are," he says, and I whack him in the chest.

"I'm also ten years younger, idiot," I say, making him grin.

"Details, details."

He and Priyanka bid me goodnight then, letting me know that we are going to have a pool party at the house tomorrow at 2:00. Apparently, Joe, Sophie, Kevin, Danielle, and a lot of well known singer-songwriters are going to be attending, and it's going to be one last big bash before we leave for our week long India trip. We all head to bed, and I fall asleep in a great mood, thinking endlessly about what is to come tomorrow. A backyard bash with my favorite people in the world can only be a good thing, right?