I. P Stands for Perseus and Prey

Thereafter the  C R A S H I N G 

"I don't sit with mortals." Milena laughs. "To think you would invite me to a football game filled with sweaty, male transients is...can I even say laughable? Because honestly I feel like throwing up."

I rolled my eyes at her once and she singed the bottom of my favorite ribbed sweater. So this time I bite my tongue and open up my metal locker to hide the annoyance I so clearly harbor. She brings out the worst in me, she really does.

"You don't even have to be nice to them. And...I don't want to go alone." I can't help it; I'm begging. She's the kind of girl that makes me beg.

"Bring Idris, I'm sure he'll love doting over you." She snaps.

"Can't imagine. He's into dudes...I think."

"Correction, we don't know that. He could be bisexual. Pansexual. Aromantic. Asexual. He kissed Mathis once. No assumptions, remember? Besides, didn't you make out with Thesis over the summer?"

This time I'm laughing, but not out of humor. "I told you she was drunk and I was sober enough to accidentally push her into a plate of champagne glasses. I mean, why do you think I showed up the next day with a cold strong enough to liquidate all my organs? For fun?"

The lilting bell, once rumored to have been wrestled from the bequiling claws of sirens, rings for class and suddenly I can't catch my breath. In all actuality, I don't even know why I'm here.

"I should go." I turn to leave, maybe sprint out the door but Milena stops me as easily as she breathes. A shallow ring of rose fire scorches the ground around me; apparently, I was never really going anywhere.

A coy smile lines her lips. "You like? It's called ignis upupam. I found it in the book of crests."

"I want to leave." I say. As much as I try to shed light upon it she doesn't understand my innate terror. "Before I accidentally kill myself."

"You're mortem crest won't allow it. Trust me, you have no idea how many times I've prayed to the gods that Laurence offs himself before I can. He's hot. It would be a shame to slit his throat before we're married and personally I don't want his blood on my hands. Or...under my nails."

I stare down at the flames as if somehow I can will them to embers with my mind. But I don't have any abilities to that scale yet. The magic that runes through my blood is void, dormant. If I step over the flames I'll suffocate; that's how the it works.

Five kills. Five kills is all it took for Milena to ascend. She could burn the school down if she wanted to. But she won't...because she loves me.

My best friend, my partner in crime, makes a soft fist and the flames sputter. Her nostrils flare. "Get to class before I roast you. And if someone tells me you ditched I swear to the gods..."

She doesn't finish. She never does. It's kind of her thing along with making everyone else feel inferior to her. Even me.

With no other choice that doesn't reside in Milena chasing me down, I head to class.

At the end of the day, she's right. All actions are just.

I made an obligation to my parents to see my education in the realm all the way through. No matter who gets in my way or what sacred obstacles I have to overcome, I have Milena. And I know sure as hell she won't let anything happen to me if not by her own hands.

I hope.

***

Mrs. Delacroix has her back turned by the time I make it through the arch. I've had five tardies in the past three weeks and her seeing me slink through with my head down won't do well for my record.