The Fort and the Books

⚠️‼️WARNING‼️⚠️

This chapter includes mention of torture and the aftermath of said torture. It's near the end.

***

The next day found Arthur rummaging through his newly discovered, vast library. His brothers and cousin found the whole situation rather endearing. It's been a while since the young Hunter had spoken with them without mentioning the soon to be village head. It has been even longer since they could convince him to learn on his own. 

Their parents and Cenric, and even Eileen, had monopolized Arthur's education for most of his life up till now…

Seamus and William were helping Arthur pick out books. Oddly enough, the younger man had been looking for books related to demon lore and facts. They knew there would be none in the Kirkland library. At least, none that were factual and truthful...

So they had taken Arthur out of town, under the guise of Hunter training. 

There was an old fort, hidden from the everyday travellers. The oath was covered by bushes and steep rocks. Seamus recalled his mother stashing as many books as she can into the fort. 

No one else knew, aside for him, William and Alistor. The only reason they knew was because they showed grave mistrust upon the information being given to them. 

Now, they silently cheered as Arthur seemed to be breaking away from the chains of ignorance.

Upon entering the fort, Arthur had quickly ran to the library where he searched once again for books about demons. He was rather delighted upon finding them and had taken no time at all in placing them in his bag. He only took five, for now, but he was sure to return for more.

Arthur enclosed himself in his study after telling the many servants that no one was to disturb him, unless it was an emergency. He was appalled at the fact that everyone he'd come to trust with his education had not even thought to check their information! 

One book he found was titled "Demons: Good or Evil?" written by an M.S . He had taken it simply because Seamus had looked at the engravings with such awe and inspiration. 

" M.S. has also written a few books on spells and curses, which I have read. He's a priest, by the way. His books are very informative and eye opening." 

Seamus had placed those books atop Arthur's desk. The young Hunter wasn't angry. In fact, he was delighted and ever so grateful for the help. These books proved the things Feliciano taught him about spells and curses were reasonable and perhaps even true.

He wondered what else he would discover as he read her book on demons.

"Demons are about as evil as we are. They are fiercely protective of their clans and villages. Head demons aren't always the strongest. They are just usually obeyed out of respect and love."

He read the passage over and over again, mind stuck on the first sentence. Perhaps he should not be as swift in judging these creatures. If his brothers and cousin could withhold judgement until the demons were proven guilty, then so could he.

With a new sense of determination, Arthur went to visit the demons again. The book was packed into his bag and he only took it out when he was near the caverns. He didn't know why Alistor was adamant about it, but he wasn't about to risk losing any of the books they'd lent him.

"Demons have four main groups. There are animal demons, elemental demons, sensual demons and those who are a mix of the other groups. Animal demons are, in essence, animals that can perform low level magic. There are two sub groups of animal demons. Those that only have an animal form and those that have an animal and a human like form."