address pt 2

the first time you met will, he had been accompanying his friend to the dressing station. he sat there all night, till his friend was transported to the casualty clearing station. when will disappeared back into the trenches, you feared that was the last time you'd see him. until, one evening, he came back.

it had only been a week, yet here he was, carrying something wrapped up in brown paper.

"Y/N!" he called your name as he came closer to you, "im glad i caught you here."

"where else would i be will?" you replied, laughing softly.

"i didn't know if you'd eaten yet, so i- uh - brought you some food," he started, holding out the wrapped up paper, that usually you'd deny but after the 17 hour shift you took gladly.

"have you eaten will? i don't want to take food from someone who needs it more."

"don't worry about it," he replied, his lips forming a small smile. instead of keeping the bread and ham to yourself, however, you shared with will, and spent your 15 minute break talking about the past week.

the same happened night after night, for 2 weeks straight - the time often varying but his appearance none the less.

on this particular evening, will turned up close to 2am but sat to the side quietly, whilst you worked. yours and will's new found friendship had become rather talk of the town among the nurses positioned at your station, so his looming presence didn't shock anyone. and as it came to half past, your break was coming soon, luckily it had been a relatively quiet night.

heading over to the tree where will leant, you took a seat next to him, your head falling back and eyes closing in exhaustion.

"long day?"

"long life," you laughed, will following with a slight chuckle.

and so it began - your daily chats. have you heard from tom? anything from your mum? everything under the sun, till a question slipped out of your mouth.

"will?"

"mhm?"

"do you think im pretty?" you asked, bolder than anything you'd ever done before, but will who was taking a sip of his water spluttered violently.

"i mean- yeah, of course i do," he turned to look at you, his gaze settling on your relaxed facial expression, red growing across his cheeks.

"well, that's good because i think your rather handsome yourself."

"y/n, you're the prettiest girl here - and that's not just because most of the people here a men," he replied, making you laugh slightly, the red cooling slightly as he grew in confidence, "when the war ends, i'd like to make a woman of you. hell, i want you to make a man of me."

"will i-"

"you don't have to say anything, y/n. i fear that if i let you go, i may never find someone like you."

"how about we wait and see what happens - i won't make any promises, will, but if we both come out of this alive, we'll see where it goes, alright?"

"if it's alright with you, it's alright with me," he replied, taking your jaw in his hands and pressing a soft kiss to your forehead.

you send him a smile and look down to check your watch, "as lovely as this has been, i've got to get back."

"i'll see you as soon as i can, yeah?"

"i'll be waiting," you quipped, and turned around, damn near skipping back to the tent with the biggest smile plastered across your face.