Senior Year

During the trio's senior year, on the first day of school

Mitch smiled tiredly as he got dressed. He'd already been up long before he had to get ready for school. He and Kirstin had been working during the night, taking advantage of that being when they were the most creative. They didn't wish they could store that 3-am motivation; they used it. Unfortunately, he hadn't slept in eight hours; now he had to go to school.

He finished getting dressed, and, in an act of desperation, put a pencil between his teeth. If you smile, it can convince your brain that you're happy even if you aren't. But when you're drained and exhausted, it's not as easy. Putting a pencil between your teeth can convince your mind you're happy and smiling.

I had a great sleep last night! Mitch thought, knowing full well it wouldn't work. He didn't sleep at all the previous night. But, he was hoping to convince his mind that he did have an awesome sleep. Then he wouldn't be so tired.

Mitch ate breakfast, then put on his backpack and waited outside. Kirstin arrived a couple minutes later in her car, and Mitch got in. "Hey, Kitty," he said.

"Hey, Mittens," she replied, and they grinned at each other. Anyone else who called either of them those pet names would most likely get hurt, even Scott. Yes, Scott and Mitch were still together.

"Let's go get, like, two coffees and, like, ten caffeine pills each," Kirstie said.

"Convince yourself that you got an awesome sleep last night," Mitch suggested.

"Did that work for you?" Kirstin asked, arriving at Starbucks.

"No," Mitch admitted.

"M-hmm, that's what I thought," Kirstie said, going to the drive-up. She ordered, and Mitch paid. They both sipped their coffees the rest of the way to school.

When they got there, they went to their homerooms. They had been told who's homeroom they'd be in ahead of time, and they would get their schedules today in homeroom.

Mitch was dismayed that they were in different homerooms, but they'd both survive. They hugged before heading into their respective classes.

"Keep your hands to yourself!" a teacher said. Because hugs are obviously horseplay and always result in fights.

Mitch sighed as he walked into class.

The teacher called roll, gave them their schedules, and told them they had five minutes to hang out before second period. An administrator checked dress code, then left.

Mitch looked at his schedule. The walks from class to class didn't seem too bad. He would be fine. He wondered if he had any classes with Kirstie as he got out his notebook and started writing. He looked at what they had so far, and sighed. It wasn't much. This particular song was coming along slowly. But, it would come together eventually. The important thing was not to push themselves to get it written. They would have it eventually.

Mitch closed his eyes, thinking for a few moments. He considered himself, what was happening in his life at the time, and how he felt. Then, he had a moment of clarity, and scribbled down several lines. Perfect. Later, with Kirstie, he'd make them rhyme, and put some music to it.

Mitch continued working on the song. He actually finished it. Everyone basically left him alone. It was mostly common knowledge by this point around the school that if you left him and Kirstin alone, letting them write, they finished songs faster, which meant more content. Since almost all of their classmates were fans of them, they let them write.

Mitch smiled, looking at the song. He couldn't believe he'd finished writing this in just four minutes.

He put the notebook in his backpack, then got ready to leave.

_

Mitch found out he shared second period choir with Kirstin. They found each other in the hall on the way there, and compared schedules as they walked. They had second, third, fourth, and eighth periods together. That was good news.

During choir, the director went over rules and procedures, then did that horrible thing where you have to go around and say your name and one thing about yourself.

Mitch and Kirstie had a shared hatred of this.

When it was Mitch's turn, he said, "My name's Mitch and you already know everything about me."

When it came to Kirstin's turn, she smiled sweetly and said, "I'm Kirstin, and I hate introductions with a fiery passion." Mitch nodded approvingly at that, and the fact that she never lost her sugar-sweet smile.

_

Mitch shared fifth period with Scott. They smiled slightly at each other when they saw each other, and Mitch sat beside him. They didn't pretend to hate each other anymore; there was simply no point in it. They pretended to be on speaking terms, and that was it.

"Can we compare schedules?" Mitch whispered.

Scott took out his schedule, and Mitch took out his. They each looked at the other's schedule. Then, Mitch whispered, "So, this, and eighth together. Hey, you have Kirstin's homeroom."

"Yeah, we have that together," Scott agreed.

"She didn't tell me that," Mitch said. "I have second with her. Can we, like, exchange messages through her if it's necessary?"

"Yeah, of course," Scott said. Mitch smiled.

_

The three of them sat together during eighth period. They whispered together until the bell rang. Then, they all shut up while the teacher talked about the rules. Mitch started tapping on his desk. Kirstin silently put her hand over his, to tell him to be quiet.

Mitch looked at her, and rolled his eyes. She looked at him severely.

"Mitch!" the teacher said. "Can you tell me what I just said?"

"My name," Mitch said, and she glared at him. He smiled back at her.

"Before that?"

"Oh, before that!" Mitch said. "You said, 'My main rules for class are to be quiet while I'm talking, pay attention to what I tell you, and put some effort into your work. Do those things and you'll do well in class. After all, much of history is memorizing dates.'"

She looked at him, clearly annoyed that she hadn't caught him messing around. He smiled back at her.

_

At home that afternoon, Mitch got on Twitter and posted about how much he always hated the first day of school. But, he added that he knew it was important. Maybe this year he'd learn something important.

He then checked other social media. He'd posted that morning a picture of himself in the mirror, to show off his outfit for the day. Now, he posted a picture of himself now, with the caption, Got messed up during the day! I'm so excited that there's only one more year of stressing so much that even my outfit must suffer. He hoped that would get some amused reactions from his fans.

Having done that, Mitch looked around his room for something to do. He sighed eventually, and went to Kirstin's house. They might as well get some work done while they could.

***

I'm sorry about the time skip, but I didn't really have anything interesting to put in the story during the other years. So, I just skipped to senior year. Nothing else important would have happened.

Also, all the tricks Mitch was using (read: trying to use) in the beginning are real things. I've never used any of them personally, but when school starts back up, then I probably will use the one about convincing your brain you aren't tired. I'm sure a lot of people will need that.

Plus, the thing about no hugging... that happens. My school has a no touching policy. Some kids will ask others for high-fives, or fist-bumps, then say, "Dean referral!" One time, two girls were walking down the hall with their arms draped over each other's shoulders, and they got yelled at by a teacher. It's so strange.